launderette hot water supply

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waschehaus

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this. We have 5 commercial washing machines that require warm water (approx 150 litres per hour). currently i have a 30 year old gas boiler that must be using too much gas and a huge water tank, 2 big pumps and 2 huge addittional water tanks. can I not just put in a domestic boiler and feed the washers like u would run a tap? there are no radiators. thanks

You should contact a local supplier and find out what's available in your area.
Boilers and water heaters come any many sizes and types.
You also want something that is commonly used in your area so when you need parts they are usually readily available.

I have spoken to a few but its painful trying to get straight answer to the question. They seem to want to ust replace the boiler but keep the old tank. It just seems to me that its not very efficient or cost effective way to distribute a minimal amount of haot water.

With a tank you can use a boiler with a lower BTU rating than one with out a tank. No tank will require one with a high BTU rating to Heat the cold incoming water to desired temp as it passes through

Ah! So that will use more gas?

OK.. The current boiler is 2 ft x 2ft x 3ft. it has 6 huge burners that pruduce big flames cuting on and off through out the day.

But I'm thinking a modern boiler like the one in my house only fires a small flame and only when i run hot water.

Is that not more cost effective?

New boilers are much more efficent these days.
a home and a commercial laundry have different needs.
The higher the BTU rating the faster it can heat cold water to desired temp. This also means it has to have a larger exhaust vent and maybe a larger gas supply.
We use RayPac water heaters here.Get the info off of you existing system
Brand ,model #, BTU. Size of gas supply and existing vent size.

raypak.com

Back