Water Heater Exhaust

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalifLove

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hoping some of you may have expertise in this area. I purchased my home - new construction - nearly 7 years ago. The place came with a State Select 50g water heater with an exhaust blower unit connected to it at the top. That blower vented into black ABS out the top and then 90 degree on out to a whole for it on my garage wall.

This water heater officially died recently (leaking rusted water out of the bottom) - wholes in tank, not from valve or otherwise. I replaced it with a Rheem Performance Platinum unit from home depot. I went with the Performance Plat because of the $200 rebate from our utility company (PGE in NorCal) which made its costs in line with the standard performance line I started looking at.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find out a concrete answer on this - do I need a blower on the new heater since it vents essentially up and to the right? Also, since it is ABS, my understanding is the exhaust gases need to be cooled a bit and the blower provides that function as well mixing ambient air with the exhaust from the burner before expelling out the vent?

Any help is greatly appreciated - thank you!

Califlove, You went from a power vent water heater to a natural draft water heater. Your water heater calls for type B vent (double wall sheet metal piping). You need to have a PROFESSIONAL come out ASAP to re-run your flue properly or replace the water heater with a power vent water heater so the exsisting flue can be used. Flue gases should not be cooled quickly be caused the unit will not draw porperly and the gases produces carbon dioxide (C02) which is very acidity. Hope you have carbon monoxide detectors.

I hope this post is a troll. The water heater installation you describe will/has put you and your family in extreme danger. You purchased and installed (?) an incorrect water heater for your replacement. Your home will burn down and you and your family may die if you use the water heater you describe. You obviously did not pull the required permits because no inspector would have allowed this installation.

shr i cant believe this post. i am glad you explained bluntly the potential danger they are putting themselves in. get that heater out of your house if you dont know what you are doing then dont do it. there is a reason why plumbers get paid what they get paid. by trying to save money you could be killing your family. all heater installs need to be inspected and installed by a professional

Latest posts

Back