Tub Spout Removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dec1ble

Reaction score
I have a tub spout in one of my bathrooms that I'm trying to remove and came into a problem when starting the job. The allan bolt on the bottom fastening the spout into the copper pipe is stripped out. I've tried putting an allan key into the bolt but due to it being stripped, I'm unable to loosen the bolt. Any ideas on how to remove the bolt will be much appreciated!

Well, you can use a trick jeep owners often use. Spray some PB Blaster, let it sit, and do it again an hour later. Try it again and if still not working, see if a small screwdriver will fit within the allan screw and turn. If this fails to work, you can use a small dremel tool and cut a deep notch in it to accomodate a screwdriver. If this doesn't work, resort to drilling it out, but do this only as a last resort.

Using a hacksaw, or a reciprocating saw, cut the spout off ~3" from the wall. The back secton of the casing should come off, allowing you to access the bolt to perhaps turn it with a pair of pliers, or, worst case, drill it out.

How will I drill out the allen bolt? Just drill straight up very slowly?

Is it the threads of the allen bolt that are stripped, or is it the head of the bolt that is stripped out? If it is just the head of the bolt, a pair of pliers or cutting a slot in the head would be my first attempt.

If it is the threads, then drilling it out is an option, if you have the neccesary room underneath. As you mentioned, just take your time. If the inner body is plastic, you can probably split it lengthwise with a hacksaw blade and remove it that way without the risk of drilling into the stubout pipe.

The PB Blaster definitely did the trick - thanks for the tip!

Im pretty sure the only thing that PB can't open up is college aged girls legs.

Back