Stuck Auger Bit in Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I have a stuck auger bit in the trap of a laundry drain pipe. The trap is in in the slab and the pipe is old probably 50 years.

It's in there really good. Broke off when I was snaking the drain with my auger.

Any ideas on how to get that out of there?

If it stuck tight enough to break off, there is probably no way to snag it and retrieve it. THerefore, you will have to locate it and dig the pipe out.

That's pretty much what I expected. It's going to be a nightmare because of how deep the trap is in the slab.

I had a contractor break off an auger bit in my shower, and left in a hurry. I was puzzled on why he left in such a hurry. A few weeks later, when the kids complained about the drain still clogging, I ran my own snake and pulled out the broken auger. I met with him later and gave him a piece of my mind. I also filed a BBB complaint and notified the State Contractor's License Board. He went out of business shortly afterwards! :D

I don't know if this will help or not: I got a small drill-snake stuck in the drain for my laundry (under the slab) many years ago. I chucked the broken piece of cable into an old Bit-And-Brace type drill and turned it counter clockwise. It snapped free.

The second time I broke one in the same drain (5 years or so later), there was no auger cable above ground. This time, I was able to rent a small snake with a retriever on it. That worked well. (Send it in clockwise until it just stops. Turn it by hand a little more & pull like a crazy person.) The retriever is a stiff wire bent into a shape of a spring that starts wide (end) and narrows (cable end). It wraps itself around the broken cutter.

In my trade, I use a retriever sometimes in large underground cable vault conduits to clear out melted rubber insulated 1920's era wiring so I can re-use the conduit (usually concrete or clay tile- Sometimes even beautiful, thick walled brass.)

Next time that drain line clogs- Out comes the Bosch, like Chris said! Good bye Galvanized, Hello PVC.

Hope one of these tricks saves you from having to clean up from breaking the floor.
(Clean up is the worst part, right?)
Paul

Latest posts

Back