Frustrated with Bad Water Pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blair

Reaction score
I've installed a new shower and am getting horrible pressure, I can use it to shower but it would take hours to fill up the tub (it was fine before this installation). The sink in the bathroom gets normal pressure. I've removed the showerhead and there isn't anything clogged (bad pressure even with the head removed). I've removed the faucet (diverter valve is attached to it) and I get bad pressure out of the faucet pipe. I've replaced the mixing cartridge in the shower handle and it doesn't have any affect. When I remove the cartridge and turn on the water to the house, I get a great spray out of the rough-in valve. I've even run bailing wire through the pipes up to the showerhead and down to the faucet to check for obstacles - none were found. I keep thinking it must be the cartridge but am running out of ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.

is it possiblle that you are hitting the safety stop. i installed a few of these and they are all kinda odd, there is a stop and then a bypass, you press in on the mixer and turn more.

you should be using a matching cartridge for that valve hansgrohe should have on especific to that rough in body.

Liquid is correct if it's a Hansgrohe valve body you should be using there cartridge not Delta's. If you look at there valve body it is similar to Delta's but is not the same.

John

Thanks. I'll take a look tonight, the cartridge is what ferguson's told me matches. I was told Delta bought Hansgrohe?

Just received the new cartridge from Hansgrohe directly and they sent a Delta cartridge - which they are telling me is the correct pressure balance cartridge. Of course, it didn't work...

Any other suggestions out there? Am I to go back to stage one and reinstall a new rough-in valve and shower system?

It's beginning to sound like you installed the valve body upside down. That would explain why you have better pressure to the shower head then you have to the tub spout. If you have access to the back of the valve body there is a arrow on it that should be pointing up.

John

^ thats a grerat idea... this could well be the problem. I had never really thought that one would be restricted, but have never installed one in the upside down position if for nothing more than the fact of the arrow and the "this side up"

^ thats a grerat idea... this could well be the problem. I had never really thought that one would be restricted, but have never installed one in the upside down position if for nothing more than the fact of the arrow and the "this side up"

Me!! the only time I made a mistake was the day I thought I did. Just kidding.
I don't think I have but I have seen it done before. One other thing to remember about T&S valves never use PEX or CPVC on the tub spout. That will cause a restriction in that line that will force some water out the shower head when filling the tub.

John

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. :) Jk

its funny that you should mention that about the Pex on the spout, In this area I have witnessed this in many boom condo's and Have even Quit a job ( the company did LOTs of things like this ) after refusing to install valves in this fashion, Pex to a wing back 90 with a copper spout.. " saves time " they said... I said, "your retarded, I quit " I now have fixed quite a few of these, In one instance in a VERY pricy condo Complex where with spout running 2 body jets a handhold And a rain head would all sputter.

:)

Sometimes the issue is actually the shower faucet. There could be a build up of film on the small mesh grate that can get in the way of the water flow. If the issues with the water pressure did not start until the new appliance was installed then there is probably nothing wrong with the pipes.

Latest posts

Back