Sewer main line replacement?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge987

Reaction score
I live in southeast Michigan and the house was built in the mid 50s. I recently have experienced grey water backup in my basement floor drains. Since I have a large maple tree in the front yard I suspected tree roots have infiltrated the six inch main. When a local plumber came to clear the clog he was unable to do so and suggested complete replacement. He quoted 3200 dollars which seemed rather light for a job of that size. I then called another plumber and he informed me that the other plumber was not being realistic in his quote and suggested that I get a six inch clean out installed outside the home to allow a larger machine to bore through the roots.

I don't know what to do as I have to keep water usage to a minimum. What is a realistic cost for replacement and are there other alternatives to pursue? should I also opt to get the main camera inspected?

Before I would recommend replacement of a sewer, or give a quote for it, I would want to do what it took to get a big sewer machine in there to get the line draining and then camera inspect the sewer.

Call Roto rooter they have a large cable with root cutting blade and they camera all sewer lines when done. They also will give free est

Latest posts

Back