Water Hammer after flushing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie666

Reaction score
I have an intermittent problem with water hammer when I flush the toilet. I hear this jackhammer like sound and I can see the flexible supply pipe going to the toilet vibrate. There is no water hammer anywhere else. I live in an apartment style condo. If I take the lid off the tank and hold the float up it stops sometimes. I have been told 2 different answers. One is to replace the fill valve. The other thing is to replace the seal on the tap of the supply line, which is much harder to do because I would have to get the water shut off for the whole building to do this. So which is the most likely culprit?

I got a fluidmaster toilet repair kit and did the whole works. The small dome shaped gasket on the supply hose was dried out and cracked could this have been the cause. . Now the toilet is topping it self up every once in a while briefly. What should I do to determine where it is leaking.

If you place a few drops of food coloring into the tank, you will probably see the colored water migrate into the bowl. If you replaced the flapper, did you run you finger under the seal to make sure you have a good seat?

I didn't have any food coloring, but did this instead. I shut the supply valve off before going to work and when I got home the tank was almost empty. The water was in line with the flapper, so I assume its the flapper the way its sitting. Tried 3 different flappers and still the same. Noticed the fill valve was intermittently dribbling water on the top opposite to the dial where you adjust your floater height. Tried a different fill valve and the same thing. I have tried many combinations of flappers and fill valves and still the same issue of it filling itself up for a split second every 5-10 minutes. At least I got the slow filling and water hammer fixed.

OK thanks. Is the chain loose enough so the flapper is allowed to seat all the way? I guarantee your problem is within the flapper or seal. Worst case scenario is that you would need to replace the fill tube and seal underneath it, if you can't get a good seal with the existing flapper. Is there a chip out of the seal or possible crud (calcium) where the flapper and seal meet?

How far is that refill tube down into the overflow tube? If it's below the water level in the tank it will siphon the tank causing the fill valve to come back on.

Chain has about 3/4" slack. I had replaced the flush valve with new seals for tube and where tank meets bottom of toilet. Ran my fingers around tube where flapper sits and its smooth as glass. Have tried 3 flappers all fluid master, but one of them had this in the middle of it.

IMG_20130520_231738.jpg

I assume its no big deal if I l don't get this fixed right a way, other than wasting a bit of water.

The chain has 3/4" slack, I did replace the flush valve with 2 new gaskets, ran my fingers along tube where flapper sits and its smooth. I have tried 3 flappers of the same brand. One of the flappers came with this and I don't know what its for. I would assume if I had a seal issue on the flush valve it the tank would drain completely and there would be water on the floor? Its frustrating if the issue is 3 bad flappers.

IMG_20130520_231738.jpg

Latest posts

Back