Shut off valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bggas400

Reaction score
Hi all... Can anyone tell from this picture, which valve I can turn to shut off the water? I don't care bout the baseboard heating. Just wanna drain the hot/cold water lines without turning off the main.

image-4075613404.jpg

Thanks,
Barry

My vote is the yellow handle valve above the mixing valve. That is assuming the cold water continues to the boiler/ water heater.

Not sure what a tempering valve is. The black pipe going across the top is the cold water I believe. the other one coming down states 'hot pottable'. so if I shut off those two, I should be all set. Yes?

Barry

Pipes.jpg

Last edited:
The "black" one is copper I believe, the one with arrow? In my experience usually the darker colored copper lines are cold. Without being there its kinda hard to tell you exactly which valves. But only thing you can do is try. Shut them and see if the water is off

That is the hot out of the heater. It looks like it's coming from the bottom of the heater. The cold water inlet is on the top.

John

Hum, well the other side of the tempering valve is coming from the boiler outlet (labeled) which leads me to believe that its the hot side. Hot water generally does not come from the bottom of a water heater or boiler.

All of the tempering valves I've seen has the hot and cold feeding left and right with the tempered water line out the bottom / top.

Not sure what a tempering valve is. The black pipe going across the top is the cold water I believe. the other one coming down states 'hot pottable'. so if I shut off those two, I should be all set. Yes?

Barry

Yes!. The cold water continues down to the yellow handle ball valve. The silver device to the lower right of the yellow valve with three copper pipes connected to it is the tempering valve that your hot potable connects too. Hard to say but that cold water valves only look like it shuts off the cold water to the boiler / hot side of the system. But hard to see with only photo's

Make sure the boilers/ heaters are off before draining water from them. Same goes in reverse, when filling make sure the boilers/ heaters are filled completely before turning the boilers on.

Damn, looks like the reactor compartment on my " boat" (ship) USS Francis Scott Key SSBN 657..................!!!!!! don't touch ANYTHING or you'll blow up the "boat".........................ps yes subs are called boats and not ships like the surface guys say!

Ha... yeah but It's a nice setup. You shoulda seen the old one. Got two zones, new Buderus oil fired boiler, new tankless water heater, new oil feed from the tank and mostly all new pipes and a logamatic control.

Latest posts

Back