Can a freeze-damaged Gould water pump be rebuilt?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevious

Reaction score
While away this winter my furnace failed and even though my cellar is resistant to freezing and has a small low-temp on electric heater, my pump froze.

It's a Gould J05LT (Deep draw Jet well pump). The cast iron faceplate has a slight (pushed out about 1/32" crack around the top.

Might anyone have experience to tell me if it is likely that the rotor has also been damaged, or might it be worthwhile buying a replacement cast iron head?

The motor and the tank seem to be fine.

I have time to spare as I borrowed a temp unit, so I can afford to wait for parts.

Try to fix it or junk it and pay $650 for a new one?

Thanks

If it is easy to take apart I would do that and inspect it for damage and if none then go from there.

Chances are good that the only damage is the housing. You could also take it apart, and have that crack welded. Either gas with bronze rod, or with and arc welder using a special rod. Forgot the name of the special rods. I once welded the front end of a Farmall Tractor back together. It wasn't mine and I broke it, so I was forced to learn how in a hurry. I have had more than one pump on my rigs freeze and break up north that I had to gas weld the crack back together. I would imagine that any cast iron part for a jet pump is going to be at least $100.00. I don't sell Goulds, so I can't help you out on the price.

By the way, $650.00 is way too much for a 3/4hp jet pump of any kind.

Last edited:
Thank you, I never thought of brazing the facepiece. I'll disassemble it, and check for internal damage.

If $650 is too much for a 1/2HP jet pump, if I do have to replace it, might you make a suggestion of what and where to buy a replacement? I'd go with a pump/tank assembly.

The maximum draw is 25'

I never recommend pump and tank assembly as they are usually sold at hardware stores and come from China.

You can check out my prices if you like. Jet Pumps

You mean that there is something actually made in America still?

Actually I just purchased a pair of running shoes, New Balance, made in USA, not Usa, Japan either...

Sadly, the other pair is made in China, yes I'll check them out, thank you.

I guess lots of things are, you just have to look at the label. Of course, that doesn't mean the entire item is made here.

Latest posts

Back