Sewer problem question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estam

Reaction score
We live in a two story house with basement, house approx 30' x 25 so not a large footprint. Am have a sewer gurgling problem which have been told it's probably roots in the outlet pipe that connects to the main sewer line.

There is an approx 3" dia vertical pvc pipe in the basement washroom that is approx 14" in depth with a cap on the top. Anytime when everything is working correctly there is approx 1" of water at the bottom. Three items discharge into this, the toilet, sink and shower.

My question is that now with this gurgling action and slow flush of the basement toilet this level is now at approx 4" below the top of the cap. So approx 10" of standing water and it doesn't matter how much water you pour down this pipe from the toilet to the shower this level doesn't change. Flushing the toilet creates bubbling and a slight increase in height for a few seconds but doesn't overflow and returns the this 4" height.

How can this be, if blocked it would continue to rise each time I flush the toilet. I am suggesting there is a blockage of some sort and understand water finds it's own level but this water is going somewhere.

Any suggestions please, many thanks for any help,

Dave

Thanks, I can dump a bucket of water down this drain and the level doesn't change. The water is going somewhere and fast.

If it was a partial blockage the level would increase and even overflow and return to this level after time.

The problem is that this level is higher (8") than normal and seems like the water has another way to get to the sewer.

The gurgling sound makes me think it may be a venting issue, but it is hard to tell without being there. Make sure your vent pipes are clear of debris.

Best thing is to have line clean with rooter or jetted with worthog that shud do it and if still makes bubbling sound mite be in the vent

air & water, you treat them the same way.
with a rotor rudder. they are cheap to rent, and will get the job
done quickly & easy to use. don't waste your time trying something else. This is the right & best way to do the job. Call your nearest Plumbing Service

Plumbing Services Baltimore

i agree, you need to have your main sewer rodded out. i would be surprised if it was a venting issue, i hear that alot but almost never find it to be the case.

it sounds more like you have a creak in your sewer line, or a bed seam, letting the roots grow into your pipes, call a plumber, get an estimate. Have a nice day.

Sewer Service

Latest posts

Back