Sudden Drop in Pressure before Pump comes on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitch

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have just installed a new pressure tank and tank tee, and I am now having a (hopefully) minor issue.

When the pressure drops from water usage there is a small lag where it will suddenly drop 10-15psi below the cut-in pressure as the pump is kicking on.

I believe that it is just because I have my cut-in pressure too high (or equivalently my tank pressure is too low - needs a little additional air) but before I either adjusted to Pressure Switch slightly lower (more water volume between cycles = longer pumping cycles, at a slightly lower pressure) or adjusted my tank bladder slightly higher (slightly higher system pressure - slightly reduced water volume between cycles = shorter pumping cycles) I wanted to make sure that I was thinking this through correctly.

Please let me know that I am thinking this through correctly, and offer any helpful advice.

Cheers,
Fitch

If your cut in pressure is.....say, 30psi The pressure in the bladder tank should be 27psi.
You can check this by turning off the pump, drain the pressure off the tank, then check the psi in the tank with a tire gauge.

Thanks Valveman that is what I wanted to know. Opposite of what I was thinking.
Cheers,
Fitch

Latest posts

Back