turning off hot water heater for the summer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grojas602

Reaction score
I've tried looking for an answer, but can't seem to find it anywhere and I'm hoping someone here can help.

The cold water is hotter than my hot water. The weather here has climbed up to 115 degrees and I believe the problem is at the main line and it being burried too shallow. Seems like its a common problem with people I have talked to in my area. Since my hot water is actually just a tad bit better than what I'm getting from the cold tap I figured I would just shut off the water heater.

Question is..

If I shut the power to the water heater (electric water heater) can I leave the cold line coming in at top on the on position and still use the water thats stored in the heater? I'm thinking I can get luke warm water that way instead of almost scalding hot water that I get from the cold tap. Also save some money on running it when I don't need it. Will this damage the water heater?

Thank you.

No. I have a vacation home where the summers will reach 115-120 degrees. I always shut down my electric water heater in the summer for the same reason. Just understand that without a constant flushing, the water may develop bacteria and might smell awful until the tanked water gets flushed out. This is all dependent with your water source.

No. I have a vacation home where the summers will reach 115-120 degrees. I always shut down my electric water heater in the summer for the same reason. Just understand that without a constant flushing, the water may develop bacteria and might smell awful until the tanked water gets flushed out. This is all dependent with your water source.
Thanks for the response. I have no knowledge in plumbing and I'm wondering about still being able to use it's contents therefore won't be just water sitting in there building bacteria. Maybe still flushing it out once a month. Or does shutting the power off to it shut off the water coming out of it? My thinking is that the water stored in it would be a lot better than the water I'm getting out of the cold tap.

If you shut off power to an electric water heater, all this will do is stop the water from becoming hot. Every time you turn on your warm handle faucet, you are slowly draining and refilling the water tank. So as to not waste water, I will shower with full hot water (which is obviously now luke warm water) and it will flush the water heater quickly.

If you shut off power to an electric water heater, all this will do is stop the water from becoming hot. Every time you turn on your warm handle faucet, you are slowly draining and refilling the water tank. So as to not waste water, I will shower with full hot water (which is obviously now luke warm water) and it will flush the water heater quickly.

Perfect. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back