Low flow in kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexTheHandsome

Reaction score
Hello! I found this forum while searching for solutions to my problem; the community here seems friendly and knowledgeable so I signed up to ask for advice.

My sister's kitchen faucet doesn't flow very well and she's been using it without an aerator for the last few months. I inspected her old aerator (it looked fine) and after reinstalling it, the water didn't flow fast enough to actually aerate.

If either handle is turned about 50% of it's swing, the water flow rate hit's the highest that it will be: in other words, turning the handle 100% or turning the other handle has no appreciable affect on the flow. Both the hot and cold water lines exhibit this same behavior.

The sprayer seems to be okay, but I don't know if it's at full pressure right now or if the amount of water that comes out of the faucet is enough to produce a decent jet from the sprayer.

I confirmed that both shutoff valves are open fully.

There aren't any noticeable leaks in the kitchen (or elsewhere in the house). Water flow is normal in every other sink.

I've read through a few posts here - and a few articles elsewhere. Should my next step be to disassemble the fixture and search for a blockage?

I'd be happy to receive any advice! Thank you.

Last edited:
Post a picture of the faucet. It sounds like the transfer valve for the hose spray may need to be replaced. Without knowing the make faucet you have I can't advise you on how to replace it.

Hi John. Thanks for your fast reply.

Does this photo show you what you need to see?

IMG_5882.jpg

Thanks for the tip, John.

I shut off the water then removed the cap, but I didn't know what to remove next. I didn't see any flat edges (which would indicate where to grip with a wrench) nor any other obviously movable parts, and I didn't want to force anything and cause more damage. I don't see a lock nut anywhere.

In this photo, I think the white piece is what you recommended to replace. How should I proceed from here? There are two notches in the top of the white piece, but I couldn't rotate it with hand pressure.

I cleaned some sediment that had accumulated on the underside of the cap. After I reassembled everything, the water flow decreased significantly - it reduced to about 25% of what it was before this procedure - so I think jostling the white piece had some effect. The sprayer's flow was not affected.

I included a shot of the underside, just in case that might be useful.

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

The white piece is the transfer valve. Remove it by placing a wide blade screwdriver in the two slots and turn counterclockwise. Once loosened it will lift out. Then just screw the new part in.

Latest posts

Back