Loose Drain Pipe Below Kitchen Sink :(

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DukeStratosphere

Rambling Gambler
Reaction score
This really bums me out, man. One of the drain pipes below my kitchen sink is totally loose. Here's a picture of the whole apparatus, with the obviously bad connection circled in red...

0215111824a.jpg

And here's a closeup...

0215111810.jpg

Apparently the whole apparatus, including the garbage disposal, has shifted its position enough over the years to make the pipe too short to fit its connections. Can I just go to some hardware store and get a slightly longer pipe?

I've never attempted a project like this before but I'm too poor to just call a plumber at the drop of every little hat that comes along, so any advice y'all may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your tips. :)

Yes you can. Pull that one out by loosening the black plastic srew where it is leaking and also the two small bolts on the disposer. Take it with you to the hardware store and get one a bit longer, you may have to get one a few inches longer and cut it down. This is a very easy task and I don't think you will have any problems with it.

Also, check to make sure that the basket strainer (that's the part that actually clamps down onto the sink, just above and out of sight on the right side in both of your pictures) is still tightened down onto the sink. Grab the bottom of it and see if you can push or pull it around. And then do the same to the disposal. If either of those have come loose, that is the real problem, and the loose drain pipe is just the symptom.

Last edited:
Just buy a 1-1/2" slip joint extension and cut it to fit.

This, really.

Also, this is where I point out how much i absolutely detest those little pre-packed kits that require slip joints to function. Every time someone buys one from me I die a little.

Latest posts

Back