Leak Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSD-owner

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. Please welcome me! :)

Forgive me if this has been asked multiple times. I have an amount of water in my bathroom and wanted to see if someone could provide some troubleshooting steps to isolate the problem for a non-experienced DIY'er. I am having a plumber come out tomorrow but I want to know ahead of time some things it could be.

Issue first noticed when sweeping behing the bowel. There was standing water and required a couple of towels to get up. During troubleshooting, when the bowel is moved, there is noticable water coming from underneath. There looks to be signs of mold near the baseboard. When steping on the floor, there is water coming up in some areas. I've checked the meter and it is not moving on the smaller hand with all sinks/dishwater/washer/etc turned off in the house.

Could it be a leak in the pipe? Something in the toilet? Is there some simple tests I can do to help isolate the issue and maybe save me a few bucks on his time?

Thank you for all that give anything for advice!

You could start by putting a dye tab in the tank and see if you have a leak coming from the toilet. The water would be easier to see if you have a crack or a bad seal between the tank and bowl.
As the weather warms and humid air comes in contact with cold plumbing, condensation could also form on the pipes, bowl and tank.
Use gravity as your guide, follow the leak from bottom to top until you find a dry spot...process of elimination.
Hope some of these help.

Thanks all. I will remember the dye tips next time

When I got home, I tinkered with it some to find out (if looking directly at the bowel) the left screw up top was completely loose only held on by the washer so when my fiancée was sweeping back there, she bumped the screw and water came out. I tightened it and no longer have leaks. Geeze, I am glad I figured it out before the plumber did. Do those even come loose?

Final question. The screws look really rusted and the washer/seals look worn. If i went to Lowes or Ace or Amazon, are those one size fits all screws or will I need to do smee measurements on the screw?

Thanks again!

If you are referring to the two screws which hold the tank to the bowl, yes, they do degrade, and should be easy to replace. Just make sure to put the washers in correctly, and remember, you are cinching to porcelain, so be gentle and keep the torque balanced equally.

Latest posts

Back