Leak under kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyerphann

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for any help you can give me on what is probably a stupid question.

Here's my problem. I came across a leak in my downstairs sink. It appears to be in the drain portion as it only leaks when water is running, and i can put my hand underneath, and those pipes get very wet, very quickly.

I watched an online video on fixing this (maybe smart, maybe dumb), and it had me unscrew a gasket near the top of the drain assembly. That unscrewed pretty easily, and there's a plastic piece I took out and cleaned. It was definitely dirty.

the video suggested cleaning it, as i did, and then using plumbers putty or silicone on the piece and re-inserting it. Here's the dumb question. They seemed to contradict whether to put the silicone on the top of the plastic, hwere it would meet the higher pipe, or on the bottom side (where it sits in the lower pipe).

I'm guessing it should be the top, but would prefer to be 100 percent sure on
that. It won't happen until tomorrow as i need to go buy the silicone and should probably just buy a new plastic piece as well.

Thanks for any help again, I do appreciate it!

The most likely place for that particular washer to leak is on top, between the bottom of the strainer assembly and the washer. I personally use a good pipe joint compound on these type of fittings, and apply it to both the top and bottom of that washer.

fill the entire sink with water up to the overflow and then pull the plug, NOW look underneith it should be easilly identifyablle where the leak is coming from.

Filling the whole sink makes more pressure in the pipes than just letting it run, which creates none.

Ok, so here's an update to things. I do appreciate the responses, even those that may have been poking fun at me a little bit for my lack of knowledge. I now have a new problem, which should be more entertaining,
especially if there's something small i'm overlooking (likely).

I took the drain apart, cleaned the washer, and I also re-puttied where the sink meets the strainer. I then went
to put things back together, and of course the 'gasket' that had unscrewed before now refuses to screw back
on. Well, I won't say refuses, because if i remove the plastic washer, i seem to be able to get it to screw on
sometimes...but once i put the washer back in place, even without putty on it, forget it, it never 'catches' and
comes right off.

So, once people stop laughing, any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? I am screwing it on the right
direction, of course, i only know that for sure since i've tried both. Chances are *if* i get it back together,
somehow, the leak will still be there and I should just board up the room and never speak of it again.

Not poking fun at you but at tradesman11.
Not all drains are exactly the same. can you take a picture of it and post it.
Sometimes you just have to replace the parts with new ones.
A picture will help.

flyerphann, tradesman11 is an advertisement. Like a bot that gets into a forum so that you click on it o see their web page. Nobody was laughing at you and I can see how that form-like post could be perceived as a sarcastic jibe towards you. We will poke fun at each other at times, but after the problem is solved.
Do as Mr. David stated.

No worries, I'm certainly used to it if someone was laughing ;-)

I did just take a picture, and since I did that and used the flash, I noticed the threads on the pipe coming
down are pretty darn dirty/caked with old stuff. So i think first thing I should do is try cleaning those off.

Hmmm Sounds more like it is coming from the supply , not the drainage side.

Did I miss something here ????

Ok, so here's an update to things. I do appreciate the responses, even those that may have been poking fun at me a little bit for my lack of knowledge.

So, once people stop laughing, any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Yes , Ive got a couple of thoughts.

1 You think that plumbers are laughing at you .

2 We dont poke fun

NO WAY would any of the professional boys be laughing at your lack of knowledge, We only laugh at Fawlty towers movies and our apprentices trying to hook onto a hot chick :D

Regards to poking fun....If a plumber is not keen on you , he will , either run over you with his truck or , Kiss you on the neck with a lit oxy torch.
:D

Just joking mate.

Keep up the good work , Im sure , like me, everyone is here to help :)

J

Last edited:
thanks for all the help. I ended up deciding it was over my head and hired a plumber to look at it. Turns
out the nut that I couldn't get to screw on was bad, so he had to take apart the assembly to put a new
one on. Maybe I did something to it when I originally unscrewed it, or maybe that was the original problem.

anyway, hopefully that fixes original problem. now, i have a leak where he took the assembly apart (two
plastic pieces meet, just past the trap), but he's going to come back out to take care of that as I don't
want to take anything else apart ;-)

It sounds as though the threads in the nut were corroded away, and even the most experienced plumber taking them apart would have run into the same problem. Hopefully all will be well after the plumber's next visit.

last question...

after a week of not using sink, i put a pan down underneath things. poured some water down, and now I'm
not getting the leak i had after the plumber left...so could be (a) pour more down to see it or (b) does
the 'blue stuff' he'd put need time to dry to actually seal things?

my question really is should i still have him come back or not...

Latest posts

Back