Kohler Bathroom Faucet Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner28

Reaction score
We have had this faucet for 4+ years without issue. The past couple days we've noticed the faucet handle is becoming tighter to use (operate). This is a single handle style faucet - the Kohler Fairfax K-12182. I have the Installation and Care Guide with parts description. Can someone advise what the most likely cause of the handle becoming tighter to operate is? Are there certain parts that likely need replacing; hoping Kohler would assist as we have receipts etc. Is it a difficult fix to perform?

Thanks

If you're handy should be an easy fix.
Just replace the cartridge. The moving parts in it are not really serviceable.

http://Kohler part # GP77548

Interactive Diagram

Turn off the water.
Remove the handle.
Take note of how the 2 temp limit control pieces are orientated and remove them.
Then just unscrew the bonnet nut and pull out the cartridge.
reveres order to install new cartridge

Last edited:
Thanks Mr_David for the quick response. I will look at the cartridge.

Kohler was good enough to send me the part (cartridge).

I'm finally getting around to trying the repair.

From the interactive parts diagram sent to me earlier at http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog...4&diagram=1&iframe=true&width=1000&height=645

… I shut off water and removed the top decorative cap (#78205), I removed the screw (#78155). I assumed the handle would simply lift off at this point, but it's not doing that.

What am I missing? I don't want to force or break anything.

I note the diagram has handle as part #78139. My handle, once decorative cap removed, has stamp #78061-AA S-4 on it. I also see two small holes on top of handle face (under dec. cap), but I don't believe they're allen screws.

I note also the sleeve (cap, bonnet) under my handle (#78064 on diagram) will turn and raise upward going under the handle.

Thanks,

G-28

Last edited:
Got the screw out the handle should come off. Pull a little harder. The cap nut #78065 holds the cartridge in. Take the # 78065 off pull out the cartridge and pop a new one in.

Note the position and orientation of the 77555 part so you put it back the same way.

Latest posts

Back