Kitchen Sink Drain - Issue with Install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaglegrad

Reaction score
I installed the drain in the attached photo here some months ago. From time-to-time it decides to leak where the p-trap connects to the pipe coming out of the wall. I've tried adjusting which usually causes more leaks.

Any advice or help would be appreciated! Please be gentle as this was my first diy plumbing attempt.

image.jpg

You need to remove the Ptrap configuration and re plumb it.

Use a 45 degree bend to turn toward the vertical drain, then attach the Ptrap to that horizontal pipe and to the vertical drain directly, without all of the additional 90's and pipe. You will have to cut the vertical drain a little bit shorter, but a hacksaw will make quick work of that.

That connection on the p-trap is not made to accept any extension. Plumbed as it is, best case is the joint continues to leak. Worst case and very likely possibility is it comes apart and waste water floods your sink base. Re-plumb as others have recommended. Also, remove and replace the exposed Romex-type power cord with a heavy duty disposal power cord plugged in to an outlet. That material can not be used in an exposed location. And before someone blows a blood vessel looking at it, secure the dishwasher drain line slack to the bottom of the sink or countertop.

Last edited:
Guys,

Really appreciate all of the great advice. I picked up the parts last night and plan to tackle this evening.

My only concern is that the distance from the verticle pipe and the pipe coming out of the wall is larger than the width of the p-trap. I believe that is why I had to use all of the extra pipe in the first place to get it to to line up with the wall-pipe to the right.

I'm having trouble seeing how the 45 degree fitting will make that happen, but hoping it will come clear when I get under there.

Also, good copy on installing an outlet/cord in lieu of straight wire w/ romex and securing dishwasher drain.

I'm case anyone else could benefit, attached was the finished product. Again, big thanks for the replays. Feels good being able to fix this myself with your help.

P.S. The cord and outlet for disposal is my next project.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back