Stuck Pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamboojungles

Reaction score
Hello all, a quick introduction, my name is Kevin. I recently found a leak on my kitchen sink. What seemed like an easy fix to replace a slip joint nut has become a 3 day ordeal. I was inches from the finish line, when i pulled on the pipes to make sure everything was secure and another slip nut breaks! So I tried to pull the pipe out to replace the slip nut but the pipe is stuck. As you can see in the picture, the red circle is where my slip joint broke. I loosened the screws all the way in the green circle but the pipe won't budge at all. Any ideas?

plumbing help.jpg

grab a hold and get gorilla stupid with it. remove outter metal sleeve, twist pull

got a question for you..in your original piping configuration.
was there a washer in the red circle area.
under that small flange? with the big end of the tapered wassher against the flange and the tapered end pointed down ward ?

plumbing help.jpg

haha, I guess I wasn't trying hard enough. I was reluctant to use full strength as this whole system has been falling apart piece by piece.

Regarding the washer, there was a washer under the small flange. However, the washer was not tapered, just a round black circle. Thanks for the help!

The round black circle was the correct washer for that joint. Tapered plastic washers are not the best solution for connecting metal pipes.

I never use washers in the trap arm .never leaks on me

All the manufacturers specify washers be used at the connection between the trap and trap arm. If any damage results from the inevitable leaks, you will be liable for all the damage. The joints may not leak when you are there, but they will. Why do you feel it necessary to save 25 cents on a washer and assume thousands of dollars of liability?

Im only talking about the one connection.conecting the p trap .to the arm.plastic washers dont allow the nut to thighten.

there is a plastic p-trap, j-bend that has a bulbous washer built into it. i do not know the brand name. i believe ho- depot ? carry's it.

every time i run across it, i try and put a washer on it
the washer will not fit

Every plastic p-trap I have used has a built-in flared end that replaces a washer- no additional washer needed there. I was simply referring to metal p-traps. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have been specific.

Hey guys, I ended up putting a washer on it anyways, and I guess it's okay cause it is a metal pipe? Anyways, no leaks so we're good on that end. In fact, it seems like I don't have any leaks from those pipes at all anymore!!! BUT........... Now i'm getting leaks from these little guys (circled in red). I honestly didn't touch them at all through the whole process but ALL of them are leaking, any suggestions on how to fix and why this happened?

Plumbing 2.jpg

Those are supply extensions. You should be able to just snug them up with a wrench. Use 2 wrenches. One to turn the nut and the other to hold it steady

The tubular Brass p-traps I use come both ways.
Some with the rounded bullnose for a metal to metal seal and the ones like Bamboojungle showed.

I like the ones that use a cut washer ( they are manufactured by slicing them from a cylindrical tube of neoprene )

I agree the plastic tubular ones don't need a washer.

Good job. Nice pictures

Hey guys, this supply extension is still leaking. I'm hold tight on the nut (red circle) while turning the nut (green circle). It's pretty much won't go any further but it's still leaking from 2 spots. Maybe I should just replace it all together?

Plumbing 3.jpg

That is what I would do. The small price you pay for a new supply is more than worth it for the time you won't have to spend fooling around with this one, and maybe a leak later on damaging the cabinet.

See if you can find supply tubes that are long enough without needing extensions.

Taking a close look at that supply line, it appears to be leaking from other than the threads. If this is the case, then yes, replace it because there is no fixing it. Also, I agree with Phish, get a line that is long enough to use without having to join them.

Latest posts

Back