Toilet Vent Code No Way Legal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackJ

Reaction score
How is this legal? There is another diagram just like this with a eye coming off the horizontal but and going back behind the toilet before verticle.

I thought no vent can go horizontal until its xx inches above the flood height of the fixture??? Can someone explain?

image.jpg

No, I am saying that in your touched up drawing, the only legal one under IPC is the stack vent setup.

Now, if you were to drain a lavatory through that vent, all three arrangements would be OK.

this wet vented, under ips is legal ?

I do not understand, a combo, in the vertical, is not to be used because the vent is cut off by the wye...

do you know the rational behind it being legal?
A toilet is a fixture that, by it's very design, will siphon the trap when it is flushed. It doesn't matter how you vent it, a toilet that is operating properly will siphon it's own trap. It has a refill tube coming off of the fill valve to add water back to the trap. The only reason a toilet needs a vent is to prevent other fixtures from siphoning or blowing out the toilet trap.

What I think you are considering is when the vertical pipe (in this case the toilet riser, and never mind that a toilet riser can't be a vent) is the vent, you can't use a wye and 1/8 bend because the drop in the combination will allow the vent to be choked off. Theoretically.

Edit: If I understand your point correctly, my answer would be that the lavatory drain is already drawing air from the vent that is connected to it, so therefore it won't siphon the toilet trap.

Last edited:
A toilet is a fixture that, by it's very design, will siphon the trap when it is flushed. It doesn't matter how you vent it, a toilet that is operating properly will siphon it's own trap. It has a refill tube coming off of the fill valve to add water back to the trap. The only reason a toilet needs a vent is to prevent other fixtures from siphoning or blowing out the toilet trap.

What I think you are considering is when the vertical pipe (in this case the toilet riser, and never mind that a toilet riser can't be a vent) is the vent, you can't use a wye and 1/8 bend because the drop in the combination will allow the vent to be choked off. Theoretically.

Edit: If I understand your point correctly, my answer would be that the lavatory drain is already drawing air from the vent that is connected to it, so therefore it won't siphon the toilet trap.

so ...does any code to this situation apply? like a crown vent? the 90 and the y must be 2 pipe diaameters apart?

or, is the theory, that its going to suk trap dry anyway ?

Florida Plumbing Code 906.1, Exception states: The developed length of the fixture drain from the trap weir to the vent fitting for self-siphoning fixtures, such as water closets, shall not be limited.

It does not specifically say that crown venting is permitted for water closets, but following the reasoning I mentioned previously, there is no good reason to not permit it.

well, that configeration, on a 2 story house, would be a hellofa easier to put in, on a outside wall. you would not have to hog out a bunch of wood on the rim joist.

if you come across an old ipc book let me know. i need to read up on that code.

Last edited:
Trying to follow you all here. Here is the situation. I have a toilet connected to a main. Wet venting is not an option due to space requirements. How is it possible to vent a toilet? Would you be kind enough to draw a diagram? The only way is understand it as possible is to have your wc drop to a 90 then to take a sanitary tee up at at least a 45 degree angle. But since i am putting the toilet in on a long walk with no wall to the left or right I'm going to have an unsightly vent pipe coming out of the concrete next to the toilet.

The problem I see with the original posters picture is the horizontal section of the vent between the 90 and the combo.
I have seen a few old homes with the wye below the closet flange but it was under an elevated subfloor with plenty of open space. The vent pipe came out of the wye up to a 45 fitting, then vertical up into the wall.

This is the most commonly used method of installing a Water closet waste line.

Scan-150110-0001 (paint).jpg

So say I wanted to put just a toilet in my garage and that's it. Main sewer is aprox 25' away, ideally I wouldn't need to place a vent on that line since it's not limited and there's a. Vent on the house. Or does a vent need to be within at least 10' of toilet?

No, it needs a vent, since the other fixtures would be draining between the toilet and the vent. The toilet needs a vent to prevent other fixtures from affecting the trap with either negative or positive pressure.

So say I wanted to put just a toilet in my garage and that's it. Main sewer is aprox 25' away, ideally I wouldn't need to place a vent on that line since it's not limited and there's a. Vent on the house. Or does a vent need to be within at least 10' of toilet?

when i was a helper, I used to bug the shat out of my plumber about vents.

he told me something that i remember to this day

every fixture gets a vent,

when in doubt, vent it out

Latest posts

Back