need well info please

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolfans

Reaction score
A house i looked at has a well that is less that 5 ft from the house and under a deck. The kind that is above ground with the opening(don't know the name of it). Does this matter? Also the well and septic tank are in the back yard i say about 30 feet and at a angle. Does this matter and thanks

I know that Florida code requires a minimum separation between a well and any part of a septic system of 75'. I don't know about North Carolina.

The distance from the house doesn't mean much. I have seen them IN the house. Not a real smart move on their part, but hey its their well..
The septic tank is another story. The minimum distance I have seen in any law is 50'. That is with a fully cemented well, from top to bottom.

Not sure what you are asking, but I hope this helps some.

This house must have been built before the days of codes on wells. I agree, 50' is the least I have seen in a lot of years and it's 75 here in Florida just like PF said.

What I would be most leary of is the depth of the well and the amount of casing. They say 6' of clean sand will filter effluent water. But the distance helps too.

Do be aware that when the pump goes bad, you might have to tear up your deck so the guys can work on the well.

the house was built in 1979. With the well under the deck and so close to the house it should still get enough water? Seems like it may would not

I am no expert on wells, but I do believe that most wells receive water from a much wider area than the area immediately adjacent to them. So the well being underneath the deck shouldn't be an issue as far as not having enough rainwater to recharge the well.

There are two basic types of wells, rock wells and screened wells. Rock wells are maintenance free in most cases. Screened wells do have to be serviced occasionally. The screens get plugged up with mineral. That and pumps go bad. If it's a submersible, seven years is average. If it's a jet pump, you may not have to get into the well nearly as much. But being up against the house and under a deck is not a good spot for it. They must have built the house after the well was drilled. It may be much older than the house.

Latest posts

Back