Help! how to take off old Gopher tub Faucet handles

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catpace

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for advice help, steps on how to remove the old faucet from my bathtub. The make is "Gopher" It is a 3 handle Hot - Shower - Cold
I would like to replace the unit with a new one. I would love to replace it with a single unit, but not sure how complicated that would be. How will I know the sizing for the new faucet? Can anyone point me to videos links online, or any advice on this? I would like to do this project myself. I have had a hard time taking off the handles. I have put WD40 on them. I tried using a handle puller, that doesn't work. The handle thats partially off on the left side was broken in half, and I still can't get the round part off over the end of the stem. See photos. Also for a new faucet any suggestions or links on what would fit in place of the old one or advice would be great. Thanks so much and I look forward to your reply.
Also theres nowhere I can see where I can take a wrench and take off the whole stem (thinking that would be the easiest, and just replace the stem) Since I cant get the old faucet handles off, and I'm replacing the whole faucet anyway.
I cannot afford a plumber on this one and would like to Do it Myself. I have googled videos and I can't find anything, every faucet is newer and not the same.
fmkk21.jpg

11bq7iw.jpg

5apbms.jpg

In the condition that valve is in, don't waste your time trying to make it work. By a small copper tubing cutter, and cut it all away. Purchase a new faucet, a few threaded copper fittings, a piece of sand paper, a small roll of solder, a bit of flux, and a propane tank. You would have a new faucet in about 5-10 minutes.

BTW, where exactly are you located? If you lived close enough, I could go over and give you a hand.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with havasu. Trying to find parts for that faucet, and then dissassemble it to work on it, would be difficult propostions. A new Delta or Moen at Home Depot or Lowes won't be too expensive. If you don't want to try your hand at soldering the new valve in, both of the above stores in my area carry a Shark-bite or Gator-bite fitting that will slide over the 1/2" copper tubing that supplies your current valve, and will also slide over CPVC pipe. CPVC pipe is put together using a solvent cement (glue) that is really easy to work with.

Back