kitchen sink backing up with disposal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russkilpatrick

Reaction score
my single kitchen sink is backing up with water but will drain when I use the disposal. It takes a few seconds for it to start backing up again after I turn the disposal off. I took off the p trap today and it was clear. I used vinegar and baking soda without much success. I have plunged extensively without improvement. I have reached into the disposal and the blades are turning fine, I also have used an allen wrench on the bottom of the unit without any difference. I have also reset the disposal. My feeling is that the disposal is not the problem but maybe something further in the pipe. It does seem to connect to the dishwasher(which drains well) about 5 feet away. Help?

the more I think about it, if it drains when I use the disposal then maybe it is the disposal. When the disposal is off is when the water backs up when I run the water. It doesn't drain. But when I turn it back on it drains. Does this makes sense? Btw, I'm a new homeowner and it's been a long time since I've had to worry about these things. Thanks for any help.

When the main begins to get clogged up, liquids obviously take longer to pass the obstruction. By utilizing the garbage disposer, it is forcing the fluids into the pipe at a faster rate, so when you shut the disposal off, the fluids begin to back up. The same applies to a dishwasher. they use pumps to force the fluids into your main, but your faucet only works on gravity.

My advice is to contact a plumber, and ask him to snake your main line. If you do this during business hours mid week, the prices are pretty cheap...~$35.00 in my area. If you wait much longer, the stoppage will get worse and eventually completely stop up, and in my case, on a holiday, with a house full of family members, and late at night. That time it cost me about $250.00 to get the plumber out of bed!

Another solution it to rent the snake and do it yourself, but if you don't know what you are doing, you could cause serious damage to your drain lines.

Good Luck!

Back