Cover for water well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Hey all... I may be buying a new house which has a water well out back. It's roughly 5' inner diameter (maybe 6' outer diameter) and 23' deep at the water level. 26' deep at the top of the well. Currently it's covered with a shaped piece of cyclone fencing, bolted to the edges of the well and this seems pretty sturdy. My concern is that I have 3 small kids. This cyclone fence cover should be ok I think, unless they use it as a trampoline. Unfortunately, one of my boys is just like his daddy, and chances are pretty good that I'll catch him jumping on it or laying on top of it looking down at the fish.

Now this well isn't supplying water to house at the moment. At one time it did, but the house now uses public water. Some day in the future I'd like to get it working for watering the yard and garden. But for now, the previous owners put koi fish in it and it's going to stay that way for while.

So my issue is that I need to get a sturdier cover on this thing so my kids don't fall into it. But I want to maintain good visibility to the water, so at the same time they can enjoy watching the koi. If I eventually decide to toss the idea of using the water for the yard then I'll probably start dumping big rocks and sand into the well to fill it up most of the way and just keep it as a koi pond. But for now, it needs to be kid-proofed.

I'd prefer something somewhat decorative, but functionality is definitely the priority. I was thinking of just welding together some rebar or something into a gate with around 4x4" square gaps between the bars. I could mount it with a hinge to the top of the well, and latch lock the other side.

Any thoughts and advice on this would be appreciated. #1 priority is keeping my kids safe. #2 is well.... being able to enjoy the well as a fish pond until we get around to fixing it up (a couple years away).

Thanks for any input!

Hey all... I may be buying a new house which has a water well out back. It's roughly 5' inner diameter (maybe 6' outer diameter) and 23' deep at the water level. 26' deep at the top of the well. Currently it's covered with a shaped piece of cyclone fencing, bolted to the edges of the well and this seems pretty sturdy. My concern is that I have 3 small kids. This cyclone fence cover should be ok I think, unless they use it as a trampoline. Unfortunately, one of my boys is just like his daddy, and chances are pretty good that I'll catch him jumping on it or laying on top of it looking down at the fish.

Now this well isn't supplying water to house at the moment. At one time it did, but the house now uses public water. Some day in the future I'd like to get it working for watering the yard and garden. But for now, the previous owners put koi fish in it and it's going to stay that way for while.

So my issue is that I need to get a sturdier cover on this thing so my kids don't fall into it. But I want to maintain good visibility to the water, so at the same time they can enjoy watching the koi. If I eventually decide to toss the idea of using the water for the yard then I'll probably start dumping big rocks and sand into the well to fill it up most of the way and just keep it as a koi pond. But for now, it needs to be kid-proofed.

I'd prefer something somewhat decorative, but functionality is definitely the priority. I was thinking of just welding together some rebar or something into a gate with around 4x4" square gaps between the bars. I could mount it with a hinge to the top of the well, and latch lock the other side.

Any thoughts and advice on this would be appreciated. #1 priority is keeping my kids safe. #2 is well.... being able to enjoy the well as a fish pond until we get around to fixing it up (a couple years away).

Thanks for any input!
Is this an open pit???

Is this an open pit???

It sticks up about 3' above the ground. Big old fashioned brick well type deal.

Kinda like this:
istockphoto_8589688-cartoon-water-well.jpg

It sticks up about 3' above the ground. Big old fashioned brick well type deal.

Kinda like this:
istockphoto_8589688-cartoon-water-well.jpg
Oh...a crock well.

Got ya...:cool::cool::cool:

Those can be unsafe.

If you have not bought the home yet, don't unless they abandon it first.

It can be costly.

Talk to your local health department.

Yeah I think I'm going to get the house regardless. It's a great little place and looks good for my kids. I've been looking at different grate covers and I think I can just get one of those and lock it down.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:
Back