Well off and on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri

Reaction score
Hi all my well goes on and off I lose all water when I take a shower I go look at the tank and it says 40 psi then it turns on and goes to 42 then off on again to 44 it does it about 10+ times then it jumps to 60 psi and its all set til we run the water again any ideas? Ty scott

Sounds like your pressure tank my be water logged, also your pressure switch may be toast. Sounds like your pressure switch is a 40-60, (turns on at 40 - turns off at 60 psi)

On your pressure tank, turn the well pump off at the breaker drain the water off there is a needle valve where you can put a tire gauge on, your pressure tank should be sitting at 38psi. If water spits out then its water logged and should be replaced, with a new tank.

Last edited:
Sounds like your tank is waterlogged as chukar says. Then the overload in the motor is tripping. This overload resets itself after a minute to cool down.

Cycling on and off is usually what breaks the bladder in the tank, just like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. Cycling destroys everything in a pump system. And once the bladder breaks, RAPID cycling will quickly destroy the pump/motor.

Thanks guy here's what I did I emptied the tank put it to 38 psi no water out of the valve then I put on a new pressure switch 40-60 and turned it back on same thing what I can see is the switch calls for water the spring thing goes up pump kicks on shuts off 1 second then about 7-8 seconds the pump goes back on for 1 second shuts off it does it about 10-15 times till it gets to 60 psi then it shuts off and the spring thing on the switch goes down I'm still lost thanks Scott

When the pump runs for a second then shuts off for 8 seconds, are the points in the switch opening or staying closed? If they stay closed, the only thing that could be going on is the thermal overload in the motor is tripping and stopping the motor. Generally once they do this, it takes much longer than 8 seconds for them to reset.

Thanks all I just changed the control box the last thing before changing the pump and that's what it was its working now

I have a well pump system. My holding tank is only 4 years old. the pressure gauge remains at 50 psi and when i run water, i.e. shower, the switch clicks twice every 4 seconds and the pressure never changes. Should I empty the tank and check the air pressure?

Latest posts

Back