Fluidmaster 400 Problem?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantony1983

Reaction score
My teenage son called me this morning at work and said that the plastic thing that rises with the water (tank bulb) or whatever you call it on the Fluidmaster 400 to cut off the water supply to the tank had gotten stuck in a position that allowed water to keep going into the tank. He said that there was something in the toilet part clogging it and therefore when he woke up the bathroom was flooded and the kitchen which is below the bathroom also had a good amount of water that came through the ceiling. I check the tank once a week for any signs of leakage and never noticed the plastic thing sticking. He said after he shutoff the water and cleared the clog that the thing wasn't sticking anymore and still isn't now that I am home.

My question is, can this happen, a seemingly good fluidmaster that is only a few years old getting stuck one second and being fine the next? My son doesn't usually lie to me (that I know of), but this sounds awfully fishy to me. Also, from the time I left for work & the time my son woke up was only a matter of 3 hours. Can that much water come out of the toilet in that little time?

Yes it can, if you have a fill valve with a balloon on the end, it may get stuck against the side of the tank. I would test it a few times for obstructions. If it seems to long, you can screw it in clock wise to shorten the throw of the arm. You could also scrap it and get a newer version that doesn't have the goofy ball.

2f8b4126-a36e-4b8a-acaf-7fe4dd7b1ebd_400.jpg

This fluidmaster doesn't come with a balloon. The bulky black plastic thing goes down when you flush and it rises when the water fills up (like the balloon). Thank you for your reply.

As far as the toilet overflowing, it would only overflow if it was plugged up. Otherwise the water should just leak down the sewer.

I totally understand that, but have you ever heard of the thing that rises with the water getting stuck for no reason, no signs of problems and than gets stuck and then is fine after you jiggle with it a little bit?

I totally understand that, but have you ever heard of the thing that rises with the water getting stuck for no reason, no signs of problems and than gets stuck and then is fine after you jiggle with it a little bit?
It is a mechanical device subject to the imperfections of the designers and manufacturers.

You're over thinking this. Sometimes things just malfunction. Even our children.

It seems to me that you are doubtful of your son's story. Toilets can and will do the darnedest things but they cannot make you believe your son.

What story from him would you believe without a second opinion? Maybe he stopped up the bowl with paper towels. After spending too much time in the bathroom doing whatever it is that teenage boys do in the bathroom, maybe he was too embarrassed to tell you the whole truth. Maybe he had a female visitor overload the toilet with feminine items. Maybe a condom started the whole thing. Syringes catch a lot of paper and stop up toilets all the time.

No matter what it REALLY was...I think you are better off going with the screwy fill valve scenario and just move on.

I have a seldom used vacation home and have had the Fluidmaster fail me more than once, and is why I always keep a few on hand.

Yes. What your son said is possible and it has happened to others.
"My toilet must have been clogged and I guess the floaty-thingy got stuck that shuts off the water to fill it. It's seems fine now, but my bathroom got flooded." has been heard by many service plumbers.

I would recommend buying a toto drake toilet. I have one in my house and although the fill valve will fail eventually the toilet has never backed up in 5 years. Just a suggestion though.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I do trust my son & I really don't want to doubt him. It just seemed all to convenient that it happened that way. Maybe he did have his girlfriend over and didn't want me to know, but from what everyone is saying it must have been mere coincidence or bad luck that it happened this way. Thank you once again.

Yes it can, if you have a fill valve with a balloon on the end, it may get stuck against the side of the tank. I would test it a few times for obstructions. If it seems to long, you can screw it in clock wise to shorten the throw of the arm. You could also scrap it and get a newer version that doesn't have the goofy ball.
He already did have a newer version without a ball, the thread title and the post title both mentioned Fluidmaster 400.

Latest posts

Back