Smell in shower drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ar5475

Reaction score
I had all of my shower plumbing redone three years ago and now I have a smell in my drain that only seems to appear after showering. I have cleaned the drain (using various methods and products) and today even had a plumber run a "smoke test" to check for an air leak in the lines - nothing. I am stumped. The plumber also suggested it might be my hot water tank but no other places smell when the hot water runs/collects.

If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them. Thanks so very much.

Uassually showers u notice a smell first because the trap is so close. It also could be a buildup of veal in your overflow.

You said you had all your plumbing redone.
That does'nt mean it was done right.
What exactly was redone?
Was this a tub/shower or just a shower.
tile/fiberglass/ ?
You say you smell odors after you use the shower.
I could be possible it wasn't vented properly and the p-trap ( providing there is one) is not holding the trap seal.
Stand alone showers require a 2" drain and you should be able to look down into it and see water holding in bottom of drain.

was this smell noticablle immediatelly after the work was done or is it recent.

could be as simple as hair and such caught up in the p-trap. I have once found a problem like this caused by a hangar underneith ( galvanized strapping ) not done well at all ( a nail placed through the loop and not a stove bolt ) that released and caused the line to bow and in effect created an s trap that partially syphoned the trap after use. problem was resolved by properly supporting the pipe and checking grade. though this was a very odd instance and unlikely in many cases, my intent is to say that there are a number of things, some subtle that can cause issues.

Back