Can someone identify these fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neoteric5

Reaction score
I just moved into a new apartment and found these two fittings/valves under the kitchen sink. They are about 6.5" long appear in the 1/2" supply lines that emerge from the plumbing riser, between some shutoff valves and the kitchen faucet and dishwasher supply lines. Can someone please tell me what they are?

I am planning to renovate the kitchen and these valves are somewhat large and in the way. I'd like to eliminate them, but not before I know why they are there. :)

Thanks in advance!

kitchen_fittings.jpg

Hmm. Okay, well if someone felt the need to install these sometime in the past, there must have been a water hammer problem at some point. I guess I should leave them in place.

Thanks for your help!

You are correct, but you may find a better location to mount them than under your sink.

And I'm betting if they're that old, they probably don't even work anymore. It definitely doesn't hurt to have them in your home but you could put them anywhere that's accessible for you

I'm not so sure they are hammer arresters. Back in the day of threaded brass pipe air hammer wasn't a problem. I have seen them before but I can't remember what they are. (it's tough to get old)

The valves appear to be old lockable gate valves, If you notice the top piece is a different brass than the body. If i'm not mistaken the top piece/cap should come off to access a square stem to turn the valve on & off.

Now you guys have me wondering about my initial assessment. I sure hope the OP comes back and provides us more information.

When I get home tonight, I'll try to pop off the top cap. But considering the only things on the other side of these pipes are a kitchen faucet, a dishwasher and a fridge, I wonder why anyone would want a locking valve here?

Those look like Pressure Reducing valves
Often installed for bathrooms and water heaters

Okay, so I tried to loosen these things, but neither the smaller nor larger piece would budge. I'm afraid of what will happen if I manage to loosen one, so I think I'll wait for the plumber when the renovations get under way.

Latest posts

Back