possible to find out exactly where water line runs underground?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr888

Reaction score
For legal purposes, I need to know, without digging, whether my water service line runs in a straight line from the curb or takes some turns underground to avoid obstacles. If it zigs and zags I need to know where that happens and the length and position of each run of pipe, so it can be plotted on a diagram.

The local water utility company says they know nothing about how the customer service line runs underground. Their knowledge stops at the curb-connection.

Is there a camera small enough to be sent down into the line to plot its path? Or can the position of the line be detected underground with some sort of radar or sonar, like the dinosaur skeleton in Jurassic Park?

No, fibbing won't work, because I'm the one that actually needs to know this so I can enter into a legal agreement with my neighbor. The agreement will have to state very precisely where the water line runs --it runs from the street, under my neighbor's property, over to my yard. We want to spell out exactly where I have the right to dig on their property, and we're not sure whether the line runs straight or takes some zigs and zags.

Dig-Alert (around here it's called One-Call) is simply a call-center that takes the details from the person who wants to dig, forwards them to the various utilities, awaits the response from the utilities, and then gets back in touch with the person who wants to dig. I've just been through all of this with them, believe me.

The Water Company is concerned only with what is under the public street. So the Water Company will either just ignore the Dig-Alert request as not affecting them or send them an automatic All Clear reply, because the location of the dig will be on private property. The gas company and phone company and electric company do take an interest in what is under private property. The water company doesn't unless it happens to be one of their mains, but they're usually under the street.

Last edited:
Copper and other metallic lines are easily traced out with a transmitter attached to the line and then they locate it with electronic equip.
It can tell you how deep it is also.
If it's Plastic like PVC they are very hard to locate but My leak detection service says they can do it. I've never had the need. Usually they just locate the leak.

Copper and other metallic lines are easily traced out with a transmitter attached to the line and then they locate it with electronic equip.
It can tell you how deep it is also.
If it's Plastic like PVC they are very hard to locate but My leak detection service says they can do it. I've never had the need. Usually they just locate the leak.

Thanks. I'm happy to hear this is do-able. Now, let's hope for my sake that it's also affordable.

BTW, does your "easily amused" have anything to do with "tins of tuna" and "egg-a-muffins"?

I had CPL locate a leak for me last week and he needed to locate the PVC line.
This is what he put on the water service to make it vibrate. That line was 3 ft deep and you can feel the ground vibrate 100 ft away.

003 (800x600).jpg

Quick, grab the tranq gun! Aim for the meaty part of Hyper's thigh! He smells hypocrisy and isn't taking prisoners!:eek:

I found two companies who have the equipment to do this sort of underground location. $400 ballpark. Thanks for all the help.

Nothing needs replacing/repairing at this time, BTW, this is for an easement agreement.

I have a plastic waterline with a leak. It is around 1/4 mile in length and on a hillside. Can you help?

Some leak detection companies have the equipment to introduce a detectable gas into the water line, and then locate the area where the gas is leaking. That is probably what you will need to have done.

What mr david is talking about that device is called a thumper to locate pvc lines

Latest posts

Back