Does a running toilet make noise?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntorun

Reaction score
Greetings! I am happy to have found this expert community and recently joined. My question is: how probable is it that a toilet can run but there is no sound of running water?

As way of background, my apartment building which has about 25 units has one shared water meter that we all split and there was a spike in the water bill for a couple of months. Towards the end of this period (this happened in the course of about 3 days), the person living below me said he heard water running from somewhere. They believe it's my toilet (a couple of other people who live in the building visited when I wasn't there and said that the toilet was running). I called in a plumber who came by the next day and he didn't find anything wrong with the toilet. They are requesting that I pay for the entire amount above the usual water bill which comes out to over $1k. I can see that they have an argument for the time the neighbor heard the water running. How probable (as I guess anything is possible) is it that my toilet was running for almost 2 months but no one heard anything? This is a time of year where the water bill has historiccally usually spiked (not this much) so I can believe my toilet may have contributed to it but since we all share the water meter, I have a hard swallowing that I'm responsible for all of it.

Thanks in advance for your help. Your input is very appreciated.

I have looked in tanks and would if sworn on my best friends grave that that tank wasn't seeping water, but sure enough the good old dye test tells the truth.

Thanks, John and Matt. Appreciate your feedback. Curious...does a running toilet always constantly run or can there be situations where it runs but when someone flushes it, the flap readjusts and it stops running?

I have a toilet in my house with a universal flap I installed and since then sometimes it will seat properly and sometimes it leaks a little so I think it is possible. Do the dye test and see for sure. I find it hard to believe that a toilet leaking so little you cant hear it would spike a water bill by a grand.

Maybe there is a leak in something behind the wall?

Latest posts

Back