Septic to city Sewer tie in questions (TAP)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXGearhead

Reaction score
I'm located in Georgetown Texas, (austin area) and am a homeowner removing septic and tieing to city sewer.
I have permit and have talked to the city inspectors and have received this diagram or schematic of what they expect for the "tap". Could y'all interpret this for me.
Details: Wastewater exits back of house will then turn and go around side of house and 90ft to a "stubb" that is located by my mail box. The stub is a green 4"vertical PVC with a cap on it. This is where I tie.

The vibe I have received is that this "tap" is difficult but I think the people I talk to don't realize that My stubb from the main is already at the property.
Here is the PDF any pictures of how this thing is supposed to look would be fantastic.
Thank you
JOHN

https://imgur.com/a/TioDo
TioDo

View attachment 2017-39910-! Residential Waste Water Service Details (1).pdf

That is a simple simple connection. That green pipe is called SDR 35 PVC Pipe. If it is just a stub you will likely need a cleanout which will be these parts ( I am assuming 4" pipe, 4" Bell x Bell Wye, 4" Bell x Spigot 45 short length of pipe and a 4" Threaded adapter and threaded plug in a cleanout box) If it were me I would run SDR 35 Pipe all the way to the house but many like to transition to ABS after the cleanout. They make a rigid connection but you will need a special glue or use a Fernco (rubber coupling). I would put in a cleanout at every 90 degree turn. The SDR 35 PVC Pipe Comes in both Glue fitting and Gasketed, Glue fittings will be easier for the average person and you use clear PVC glue or if it is gasketed you will have to bevel the pipe and use lube to connect. Let me know if you have any questions, I have done these hundreds of times.

Also you don't tie into the vertical piece, That should be a cleanout otherwise they just put a 90 at the end of the pipe and ran vertical. Dig down to the horizontal pipe and connect there. If it has a 90 at the end you will have to remove that and put in the wye. Normally it will be a wye with a stub and cap but it all depends on who installed it.

Thank you So Much I will dig down to get to the angle 90* or wye fitting then try to post pictures. I will be running PVC to house,
I again than you Frodo for the diagrams and direction of clean outs & Chris thank you So much for the info and tap explanation.
I am going to get the pieces you stated, can I get all these pieces from big box store? Or plumbings supply only? Online sources?(amazon)?
More to come....big Project for me...poop stacking up.
John

PVC Layout.gif

Box stores will carry ABS, If you want SDR 35 you will have to go to a plumbing supply or waterworks supply store. Some irrigation supply places carry it too. It is also usually cheaper than even ABS and I like the joints much better than ABS joints. I have not had to do many repairs on SDR pipe. Not sure which Frodo recommends. Attached is a picture of one of my jobs that you can see the typical layout of a cleanout.

IMG_0621.jpg

Depends on the type of pipe, if it is that stuff that is black on the inside than no you can not. If you only have a box store than go with ABS.

OK, now that we (OK, Chris) have you taken care of.... what is your opinion of that Salt Lick Restaurant in Round Rock?

I was there a few months back and it is the only restaurant I walked away from disliking everything they had on the menu, except the margaritas.

Salt lick ...no good for me, salt grass steak house is great but kinda $$$. I like Smokey moe's for run of the mill texas BBQ very local based Round Rock (RR)
John

Back