Venting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bad clog in the tub drain and a small leak plumber is coming out in the morning and the celing has to come out to get to the leak so my question is. Should i have him install a vent to the drain? The sink has an AAV on it and its not far from the tub the lines do connect. Pipe to pipe above the floor is only say 3 feet, would that also help vent the tub or should the tub have its own AAV? I ask because ive never used this plumber before and well i really dont want him to talk me into anything i dont really really need. TIA

I have a bad clog in the tub drain and a small leak plumber is coming out in the morning and the celing has to come out to get to the leak so my question is. Should i have him install a vent to the drain? The sink has an AAV on it and its not far from the tub the lines do connect. Pipe to pipe above the floor is only say 3 feet, would that also help vent the tub or should the tub have its own AAV? I ask because ive never used this plumber before and well i really dont want him to talk me into anything i dont really really need. TIA
Sorry, but can you please tell me what a "small leak plumber" is?

Sorry, but can you please tell me what a "small leak plumber" is?
My bad. It has a small leak AND a plumber is coming out. The leak is irrelevant. Just know that the ceiling is due to come out in the moring and the drain line is being hacked out most likely. Again should i ask OR should he ask should i put an AAV in line or not? The house isnt vented properly (idk why guy came out long while ago and said the vent is clear and nothing seems to drain right so AAVs where added. I was not the owner at this point but someone i knew was this was the story and it all drains nice except for the tub and it hasnt drained well since i bought the house and now is pretty much a total blockage of assumed hair and gunk. Add AAV or to not add AAV is the question? (The plumber had emergency job today so got a new time. today? tomorrow? I havent went to bed yet, you decide lol)

My bad. It has a small leak AND a plumber is coming out. The leak is irrelevant. Just know that the ceiling is due to come out in the moring and the drain line is being hacked out most likely. Again should i ask OR should he ask should i put an AAV in line or not? The house isnt vented properly (idk why guy came out long while ago and said the vent is clear and nothing seems to drain right so AAVs where added. I was not the owner at this point but someone i knew was this was the story and it all drains nice except for the tub and it hasnt drained well since i bought the house and now is pretty much a total blockage of assumed hair and gunk. Add AAV or to not add AAV is the question? (The plumber had emergency job today so got a new time. today? tomorrow? I havent went to bed yet, you decide lol)
I am not a plumber but I do plumbing work on my rental properties.

Around here, they use wet venting (the drain pipe serves as the vent also) as long as the arm to the fixture is within a certain length. In other areas, that is not allowed by code, but it seems to be allowed here.

In any case, what you are describing seems more like a clog to me, rather than a venting issue. I would have the tub drain snaked by a professional and then test it. If it is draining without gurgling, it is not a venting issue.

Around here, they use wet venting (the drain pipe serves as the vent also) as long as the arm to the fixture is within a certain length to the main vent stack. In other areas, that is not allowed by code, but it seems to be allowed here.

In any case, what you are describing seems more like a clog to me, rather than a venting issue. I would have the tub drain snaked by a professional and then test it. If it is draining without gurgling, it is not a venting issue.

Around here, they use wet venting (the drain pipe serves as the vent also) as long as the arm to the fixture is within a certain length to the main vent stack. In other areas, that is not allowed by code, but it seems to be allowed here.

In any case, what you are describing seems more like a clog to me, rather than a venting issue. I would have the tub drain snaked by a professional and then test it. If it is draining without gurgling, it is probably not a venting issue.

Sorry for the triple post. Is anyone else having issues with Tapatalk? Every time I try to post something, I get a message that says something like "unable to post. If this continues contact the Admin". I hit post again, and get same message. Then when I refresh the page, my post is actually there, but multiple times, like this one.

Sorry for the triple post. Is anyone else having issues with Tapatalk? Every time I try to post something, I get a message that says something like "unable to post. If this continues contact the Admin". I hit post again, and get same message. Then when I refresh the page, my post is actually there, but multiple times, like this one.
Yes i have that issue. It always posts the first time. Just do it once and it will be there.

this is what you do

remove the aav, and drain the tub
if it drains ok, then replace the aav
if it does not drain ok, with aav removed
pull the tub stopper linkage, clean, and replace
it it still drains slow, clean out the ptrap

as i stated before, it is a blockage issue, not a vent issue
but you are free to investigate the vent,if you choose

Latest posts

Back