Sprung a leak!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmills02

Reaction score
My brother has hired a friend of mine to redo his shower on the second floor and he's relatively new to plumbing. He shut off the water, cut the old copper pipe and replaced the shower head and valve with pex pipe as shown. Sure enough we sprung a leak after the water was turned back on. The leak is coming from the copper pipe below the shower and leaking to the first floor ceiling as shown.

I'm wondering what critiques I might get from the pros, how we could have prevented this and if anything else looks unsafe.

20171107_214401.jpg

20171107_214323.jpg

20171107_213519.jpg

Are those sharkbite connectors from the copper to the pex? Are those hose clamps on the pex?

Most likely did not insert the pipe into the sharkbite fitting all the way.... I could be wrong

Reactions: SHR
Don't looks like a hose clamps, looks more like a SS barb pinch clamps.

After blowing up the pic, you seem to be correct. Sure looked like hose clamps on my first look, but I don't think this is the concern. I believe it is leaking from the sharkbites not installed correctly.

Hard to beat a good sweat joint. Pex has its place, just not in mine.;)

I'm not a plumber, but have used Sharkbite's before. It looks like there is some sort of residue/corrosion/old solder where the leaking connector is slid onto the copper. The pipe needs to be clean to seal properly.

Also, the pipes are not properly supported, you can't expect the Sharkbites to stabilize the piping array
Add nail plate protection.

Reactions: kid
Back