Where to run auger??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlfuksa

Reaction score
Every time I run the toilet or sink in my main bathroom, water comes up into tub and toilet gargles. My bathroom on other side of house along with washer have no affect on it, they work perfectly fine. I'm renting a power snake this morning. Should I go straight down the vent pipe or toilet drain?? Any suggestion??

Every time I run the toilet or sink in my main bathroom, water comes up into tub and toilet gargles. My bathroom on other side of house along with washer have no affect on it, they work perfectly fine. I'm renting a power snake this morning. Should I go straight down the vent pipe or toilet drain?? Any suggestion??
And also, I do not have an outside clean out, wish I did

To be honest with you, by the time you rent a power snake, lug it home, deal with the crap on your hands, take a chance of hurting yourself, hoping you don't bust a pipe, and wondering if you are using the snake correctly, then hauling it back to the rental yard, I would much rather pay less than $100 bucks and letting a professional take care of this problem. Another great thing about bringing in a professional is the fact that they know the exact spot where the snake should be accessed.

Don't get me wrong, I love doing it myself and trying to save a buck or two, but sometimes logic takes over and I go the cheap way and call out those professionals.

To be honest with you, by the time you rent a power snake, lug it home, deal with the crap on your hands, take a chance of hurting yourself, hoping you don't bust a pipe, and wondering if you are using the snake correctly, then hauling it back to the rental yard, I would much rather pay less than $100 bucks and letting a professional take care of this problem. Another great thing about bringing in a professional is the fact that they know the exact spot where the snake should be accessed.

Don't get me wrong, I love doing it myself and trying to save a buck or two, but sometimes logic takes over and I go the cheap way and call out those professionals.

X10, and I am a plumber that would pay to have the pro's do it. That is an art as far as I am concerned. I have a brother in law rented snake snapped off in main in the yard nightmare every time someone says snake a drain. That little 15 minute job cost him a few grand.

Thanks a bunch for y'alls input, I did call a plumber to come out...the plumbing gods must have been looking out for me because the rental shops snake I was going to use broke down over the weekend! Would of been my luck to have that happen to me!

I would much rather pay less than $100 bucks and letting a professional take care of this problem.

Honest question - Can you really get a plumber to come out to your house and snake your drain for $100?

My neighbor recently had his drain snaked for $400. It was a 30min job. We live in Washington DC.

There are a dozen trucks that drive around my part of California with signs on them saying, "we will snake your drain, any drain, for $69.95."

Obviously there are exceptions, but if you search "Yelp", this should point you in the right direction.

Then again, last time I was in Washington DC, I spent $400 for a steak dinner and left the place hungry. Man, your area is out of control on hotel, food, rental car, and drink prices.

your area is out of control on hotel, food, rental car, and drink prices.

Yes, yes it is. The Economic Policy Institute said that in 2015 a 2 parent, 2 child family needed to bring in $106K just to secure an adequate but modest living standard in DC. Prior to reading this I thought we were making bank. I now understand why our accounts are stagnate, kind of like the water in my kitchen sink at the moment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back