Plumbing Forum - Professional & DIY Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion > General Plumbing Help > Replacement Hose Bib Stem, Nut, Handle

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
cja313

Default Replacement Hose Bib Stem, Nut, Handle

Hey Guys,
(Home Owner here, Not a Plumber, but do have an HVAC guy helping me with small repairs)

I have a hose bib which doesn't leak when the valve/handle is shut off, but when its on, the water leaks/shoots/sprays up through the nut/stem. Hoping I can find replacement kit because replacing the entire hose bib would mean cutting drywall to access it from the back. This house is under contract and due to close in 10 days and I don't want the extra cost of drywall repair and paint.

The Stem is 1-7/8" and the nut is 1/2"

Any advice as to where I should look? Do I just buy a new hose-bib with Stem and Nut that match measurements and use those?

Thanks in Advance!

--Chris

49776.jpg   49778.jpg   49779.jpg   49781.jpg   49783.jpg  

Old 10-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
havasu
Administrator
PLF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1103 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 324

The right way is to replace the entire hose bib. The lucky way is to find the same manufacturer, remove the stem from the new bib, then replace it into your old unit. The cheap way is to clean and rebuild your existing stem.

Unfortunately, there are hundreds of different stems out there. I would go to a local hardware store and try to match it up.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
cja313

Thanks! That was the news I was expecting, finding the exact match would be near impossible with no marking or manufacture marks on the old bib.

I'm going to end up paying to have it replaced and drywall repaired. a Few hundred dollars to make sure we go to closing and I get the house sold in a week is worth the money spent.

Thanks for the input!