What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I am reading lot of articles about bathrooms and trying to get advice how to install wall mounted toilet, any good advice? Thank you

Today I am reading lot of articles about bathrooms and trying to get advice how to install wall mounted toilet, any good advice? Thank you

No idea on that front. I hope you can find the info you need though.

start a new thread on your topic. May get a better response.

I took my friend to the store and bought him some stuff to wear to his father's funeral. I decided to splurge and get him some work boots he really wanted but couldn't afford. His old boots were falling apart. The manager at the store was very nice and honored the "online only" price for us. Discovered that his 5-year-old daughter can say "primary" and had some fun with that (it's funny because her mother-- my friend's ex- is so stupid she can't say "primary"-- like, we said the word to her and she couldn't repeat it; kept saying "prior").

While over at my friend's grandmother's house the kitchen sink wasn't draining. I looked under and I think the pipes might not be sloped properly. I couldn't see a vent, but I think it goes in to a wall less than 5' away and might vent in an exterior wall. I believe it ties in to the drain/vent of the washing machine. The local plumber botched the plumbing on it. No visible trap on the standpipe-- just goes into the floor. Might be a trap under the concrete floor. And the pipe is less than 2" diameter. I was examining it and explaining to the grandmother what was wrong-- they just had it done 2 years ago. I showed my friend diagrams of what the plumbing should look like and that they need to bump it up to 2". The washing machine also shakes very hard-- actually rocks all over the place-- when it first kicks on and starts to spin. I know it is really hurting the grandmother bc her late son is the one who did repairs and helped around the house. I offered to help her as much as I can and told my friend to let me know if he needs any help. Told him he can call me anytime of the day or night if he needs anything. I know how much it sucks to lose a father, so I want to be there for him.

You are an awesome friend Zanne.

Thanks. I really wish I could do more for him. Funeral was rough. I hate funerals and I also can't stand country music. Other things, it makes me sad when other people cry-- it makes me cry, and I'm not one for religious ceremonies/sermons. So, there I was sitting in a chapel at a funeral, surrounded by people crying, while they played preachy religious country music. My inner Grumpy Cat had quite the monologue.

It was really heart wrenching when the 5-year-old was brought up to the open casket (Oh yeah, open casket is another one of the things that bugs me-- I want to remember the people when they were alive and can't look at the bodies). She put her favorite My Little Pony toy in the casket with him and said "I wish he could come back to life". That made her great grandmother start crying again. Poor woman wailed and sobbed-- which set off several other family members. My friend's mother held the girl through most of the funeral but at one point when my friend's grandmother started sobbing and my friend started crying, the little girl wanted to go to my friend. She hugged him and cried on his shoulder and then sat back and put her hands on his face and was wiping the tears away. There wasn't room on the front family bench for my friend's girlfriend, so she was seated with me. She kept leaning on me so I held her. I rubbed her back when she doubled over crying, and I did my best to try to comfort her. Poor kid never lost anyone close before so it's tough for her. It also made her cry when she saw her boyfriend cry.

I was slightly bothered that they spent less than 2 minutes talking about the deceased and instead spent most of the time telling everyone they were going to hell if they didn't believe in Jesus-- for almost an hour. None of the family got up to speak about him either-- probably because they were not prepared for it. He was only 46. There are a lot of humorous stories about him that would have been nice if they'd been shared. And of course, nobody was going to mention his struggles with drugs. I don't know if the preachers knew about that part. I did almost chuckle when they described him as "gentle". I mean, he was a really nice guy (aside from the drug thing) but he was also known for busting heads and breaking arms if people crossed him or his family. Someone tried to steal the radio out of my friend's truck, he told his father, and his father intercepted the guy and broke his arm. Before the funeral, my friend told me that one day someone hit his father in the back with a tire iron and his father just turned around, looked at the guy and said "Did you just hit me with a tire iron?" and the guy dropped it and ran like hell. He was a tough guy but he was a big softie when it came to his granddaughter. She was his little princess.

On the way over to the cemetery, other vehicles going the opposite direction were pulling over and stopping (I've been told that is a tradition to show respect that I'd never heard of before-- my mother had never seen it before and was surprised).

Saw a friend that I hadn't seen since his grandmother's funeral (and the last time before that was at his grandfather's funeral) so I said "We have to stop meeting like this!" I hope to see him again soon but under better circumstances. Actually, maybe the last time was at our 89-year-old friend's funeral- last 3 times were funerals. He and one of the pallbearers had to help my friend's grandfather stand up and reach his walker. Also helped my mother get out of her chair.

My friend's grandmother invited my mother to come over and visit for coffee. She wants to spend more time with her since she was also a mutual friend of our aforementioned 89-year-old friend who passed. I'm hoping she'll take her up on the offer because she needs to get out of the house more.
The grandmother gave me a really big hug and thanked me for being there for her grandson and asked me to never leave him and to please always be there for him. He's a good kid so I intend to do so. I let him know that he can call me anytime of the day or night if he needs something-- even just to talk to someone.

Meanwhile, I need to work on more cleaning in the house. I was exhausted after the funeral. I'm really hoping that doubling my thyroid meds will help give me more energy-- although I think this was partially from being emotionally drained (and from being up most of the night working on my mother's laundry).

Time to go give ear mite medicine to 14 kitties. At least I have goggles so it won't get in my eyes when they shake their heads. LOL.

We can't be friends any more.
LOL. I like Johnny Cash music and some country music-- but the really whiny sounding stuff makes me cringe. I'm learning to tolerate it a bit more. At least it's not as bad as some rap "music" I've heard.

I replaced the distributor in my Jeep last Saturday evening.
When I got done it was not running right. It was late and time for dinner.
Back at it the next morning at dawn.
2 hrs later I had pulled it 3 more times. Right back where ended up the night before[emoji36] 🤬[emoji35] and [emoji848]
Then check the plug wires for correct firing order.
2 & 4 where miss placed.
Had the distributor in right the 1st time. Stupid Arss.

Past couple of weeks: I got the kitchen mostly cleaned up, cleaned up about half of the living room and put in a new recliner. Old cat-piss soaked one got sent to the burn pile. Friends helped me on getting the front room cleaned up so my sister could sleep in it. I did a bunch of laundry, started the demolition on the old guest bathroom (got the wall panels off on the wall that is coming out so just the studs are there as well as the old shower. I see that the lower water supply lines for the shower are PVC/CPVC with no above-floor shutoffs. The part where the shower levers attach is some sort of metal.
Here is the messy hallway leading to the laundry room with the wall panels removed from the bathroom.
tumblr_p1qjopSzPA1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Here's a view of the front room with the lacquer screen w/ mother-of-pearl inlay. The bed is behind it. It came from Vietnam along with that blue rug.
tumblr_p1qjopSzPA1qkwd9ao9_1280.jpg

Here's what the kitchen floor looks like in front of the fridge
tumblr_p1qjxrEXHg1qkwd9ao3_1280.jpg

And this is how I disguise it until we can get it replaced
tumblr_p1qjxrEXHg1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Yesterday I drove out to West Monroe (about 3 hours away) to visit my late friend's widow. I believe she's 93 or 94 years old now. She's got a home health helper who drives her places and takes her to restaurants and helps her get seated and get back up to her walker. We went to lunch at Cracker Barrel (food was meh, tables were cramped-- wouldn't really recommend it) with them (my friend and the helper). They were good company and we stayed a few hours. I talked to her son about how the house has been listed for sale for 5 years and not sold because the real estate agent is refusing to meet with people and claiming he doesn't even sell houses when he is approached by potential buyers (at least 3 people I know of have been blown off when they asked the real estate agent about it). I'm encouraging them to switch agents. Hopefully he'll do so and the houses & property can be listed on Zillow. Last I heard, listing price for it was $50k for 6 lots, 2 houses, a greenhouse, 2 sheds, and a small workshop all in one fenced in property. A house down the street recently sold for $6k (real estate market in this area really sucks). It was a good visit. We ate at Texas Roadhouse on the way home. I took some naproxyn and went straight to bed.

Despite the hellish drive, I want to visit my friend more often. It's really good to see her.

This thread has been so quiet!

Temperatures here got lower than they've been in about 30 or 40 years so I had some plumbing freeze and break (unwrapped section for an outdoor faucet and unwrapped segment of CPVC to the washing machine under the house).

Fortunately, I had parts for both since I've been hoarding supplies. I've got some elbows, couplings, etc. Turns out I'm one of the few people in town that uses 3/4" cpvc instead of 1/2". Not sure if there are benefits to that or not. I'm hoping it won't get that cold again.

When we renovate, I'm going to try to find ways to keep the plumbing warm-- I'm thinking of using the wrap all the way up through the holes where plumbing comes up from under the house, or maybe I can use it just up to the holes and tape around on the underside of the hole to seal it up- or use caulk or expanding foam.

I actually started to post here a few days but got interrupted before I submitted it.

I went to a Monster Truck jam last weekend. Very impressive.
They had it at PETCO PARK. San Diego Padres Stadium located in Downtown SD.
I watched some big foot trucks about 30 years ago run around crushing cars and hollowed out RVs.
The most impressive trick of the night was the walking 2 wheel hand stand by MAX-D.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wi0d18k5K4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wi0d18k5K4[/ame]

And the winner of the Freestyle event "Whiplash" was a women driver.
That was Okay. There was some other crazy stuff but you had to be there.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayfTk7amys"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayfTk7amys[/ame]

Can some explain to me what I am doing wrong.
When I try to post a YOUTUBE video I get a black box.
do you see 2 black boxes above. The links are good.

Last edited:
I actually started to post here a few days but got interrupted before I submitted it.

I went to a Monster Truck jam last weekend. Very impressive.
They had it at PETCO PARK. San Diego Padres Stadium located in Downtown SD.
I watched some big foot trucks about 30 years ago run around crushing cars and hollowed out RVs.
The most impressive trick of the night was the walking 2 wheel hand stand by MAX-D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wi0d18k5K4

And the winner of the Freestyle event "Whiplash" was a women driver.
That was Okay. There was some other crazy stuff but you had to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cayfTk7amys

Can some explain to me what I am doing wrong.
When I try to post a YOUTUBE video I get a black box.
do you see 2 black boxes above. The links are good.

Hey Mr. David I was going to look at your video's but everytime there is one all I get is the black box. I get pictures but no video's. Not sure what to do about this.

That is a respectable number Tom. For some reason, you should be getting the You Tube Videos that are posted, unless your firewall is prohibiting it.

I was looking for videos others may have posted in previous post and found a couple by Zanne & Frodo. BUt just before that I spotted a post where I made some stuffed mushrooms on the grill. Damn if I remember eating those. Going to have to make some more.:)

Both post from Z & F are also big black square boxes.
If I right click on the box and copy properties I get

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LjpIijRirUs?start=
https://www.youtube.com/embed/rJkPiDsIvck?start=

But why are they different from the link below.
I'm gonna play around with it to see if I can figure what's up or down

Grilled up a couple stuffed mushrooms.
2 large portabellas stuffed with cheese and spinach topped with some bacon bits.

I never had a problem viewing the original link play just perfectly fine for me

Back