Underground Plumbing Fix in High Altitude

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyZ

Reaction score
I have a vacation shack that sits at an altitude of 7,130 feet.

Last summer, the main water line coming in from the street to the home started leaking, which eventually caused puddles in my yard and runoff down the street.

Of course, being at high altitude, the water pipes are all laid extremely deep into the ground to prevent freezing.

The pipes are made of galvanized steel and are likely 37 years old.

I have since shut off the water and only turn it on once or twice a day for five minute periods of time when I am in the area visiting.

The cost to get a backhoe into the front yard and to replace the pipes (or to place new pipes alongside the old ones) is very pricey so I have yet been able to bring in a professional plumber.

My question is this:

Is there any reason why I should bite the bullet and make the repairs BEFORE WINTER since the old pipes are already shut off and broken? I am just wondering if I could delay the fix until the spring or so when I will have more money saved up and if there would be any additional damage to the entire plumbing system because I waited?

Should we make sure to never use the water or to do continue to run water a few minutes a day for the occasional days we visit?

(making sure, of course, to winterize everything before we leave)

We are on a concrete slab and the broken pipe might be under the slab, but it is likely in the front yard based on where the water puddles first formed.

I'm also a bit unclear as to whether I should go with copper pipes over PLX, but I am leaning toward copper.

Thank you so much-

Danny

Back