Help with 2 handle tub faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarenancy

Reaction score
Hi y'all.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I've been a successful diyer for decades but now I'm stumped. Or maybe I don't like the probable solution.

Here it is.

This is an old school faucet assembly. But it's not old. We redid the bathroom about 13 years ago and installed it then.

Lately there has been a drip in the cold side. It got horribly worse Friday night. So, naturally, I replaced the washers on both valve stems. This did not help. So then I removed the valve seat.

The surface that contacts the washer looked good but the threads were quite rough on the backside. So I replaced this. It took several tries...1st bare, 2nd putty, 3rd teflon tape. It finally stopped the drip.

Since it was so difficult for what ought to be an easy job, I left the escutcheons off so I could observe.

Now, having just showered I see that, although the valves close adequately, both hot and cold now spew in the wall when opened. I feel certain they did not do this before. There is no sign of water damage that I can see.

What did I do wrong? Are the stems maybe bad? I so don't want to replace the whole assembly. And it really doesn't look like there is any flaw beyond the valves.

Thanks,
Clare

Sure.

This is looking down the handle stem.

To me it looks like it comes from behind this rubber gasket, which makes me think I simply need to replace the stems.

I slowly turned the knob to see in gently drip from there. And of course, it spews if I turn the knob more.

But I just don't see how I could have damaged them so easily by only pulling them out and putting them back. Both!

I'm no expert though.

What do you think?

leakystem.jpg

Hey. I may be an idiot.

There is another nut that goes in there that the plastic threaded spindle screws on to the attach the escutcheons.

Maybe it also contains this rubber gasket and the water?

Clare

Okay. It looks like I may have solved my own problem. Which is only fair since I created it. As soon as I looked at the photo all giant on my monitor I realized what was up.

Having put those other nuts on I don't detect any water coming out in the wrong places any more. :)

Although I'm an idiot I'm going to leave this thread up as a lesson to others.

1. Maybe if you are an old gray haired lady you should not try to plumb when you are dog tired like I was last night.

2. Don't inadvertently hide parts under your escutcheons on the windowsill.

3. Drink your coffee and assess the situation before you freak out and post for help on a forum.

Thanks John!

Clare

Latest posts

Back