noisey plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellstar

Reaction score
I just finished a remodel on a second story bathroom. Half of the bathroom sits over the master bedroom. The customer is complaining about the amount of water noise that she can hear in her bedroom below. There is some drain noise but the main thing she hears is the water hiss from the supply lines. I have determined that most of the noise is coming mainly from the tub/shower valve when the shower is not in use. She supplied the Kohler tub/shower combo fixture.

I have insulated around the pipes with batts but the noise still comes through.

I have debated on removing the sheetrock from the ceiling below the bathroom and replacing the copper that runs in between the floors with pex so the hiss won't transfer down the pipes. (We moved the tub, toilet and sink all to new locations so there are some copper runs with several 90 deg elbows that the pex would eiliminate..) Then spraying the whole area between the floor/clg with open cell spray insulation. Is this a possible solution? or does anyone have an ideas on what to do? Preferrably an idea less invasive to the house and my wallet...

Last edited:
There is no pressure reducing valve. So you think the problem could be too much pressure?

If the bathroom sits over a bed room, I would have used cast iron or dwv copper, they wouldn't be any drain sounds like you get with plastic, something to consider for next time.

Latest posts

Back