PRV failing?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dosto233

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My water pressure is slowing rising to dangerous levels if we have the water on (140 PSI+); I think it is because my PRV is failing. Previously the rise in pressure was just intermitten. I now have an expansion tank installed for the water heater but when the water is turned on, the pressure still gradually rises until its reached 140 psi and the water heater's pressure relige valve opens. It began happening gradually, but now happens within 20-30 minutes after turning the water on. The only thing that varies is the pressure builds more slowly if I turn the pressure down. Any insight is much appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like you're PRV is weeping (letting water from high pressure side into your system). Best bet would likely be to replace it rather than rebuilding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, what is the pressure before the PRV ?

I'm not sure what the pressure is coming in from the city but there is a hose hookup before the PRV so I should be able to connect our gauge to it and check. Either way we're having a plumber come out tomorrow to give us an estimate for replacing it. I believe there are unions on each side of the PRV so it should easy to replace. At this point I don't see what else it could be.

Well we had the plumber come out and replace the PRV and everything is working great so it was going bad. Thanks for confirming the problem.

(BTW, it turns out incoming pressure from the city is a whopping 210 PSI in the afternoon in our specific area of the city.)

Cheers,

Well we had the plumber come out and replace the PRV and everything is working great so it was going bad. Thanks for confirming the problem.

(BTW, it turns out incoming pressure from the city is a whopping 210 PSI in the afternoon in our specific area of the city.)

Cheers,

That's insane, plus very dangerous.

John

Wow that's insane hope they're using type k and hope and pray to god you never get a leak upstream of the shut off or your house will flood in about 30 seconds or less.

I agree with the other guys, the pressure is very high (and dangerous). Hope the plumber put the correct valve in. Don't know how long your old valve lasted, but with pressure that high I would recommend doing a two valve setup ( installing two prv in series)

johnjh2o said:
Right on Steve, that's what watts recommends for 200+ PSI.

http://www.watts.com/pages/learnabout/reducingvalves.asp#sizing

John

So my instructor did know what he was talking about :p I didn't realize that's what watts recommends but it makes sense. Personally never ran across it potentially never will for a water main. Most places around here are around 75-80 psi maybe 90 tops. But worthwhile knowing

HI Guys,

The PRV was a Wilkins 600 and was replaced with the same model. We do have 2 PRV's installed to deal with the extremely high pressure and unfortunately its a well know issue in this specific portion of the city. This particular area is well known to plumbers here and to the city. In fact, the plumber mentioned he has a friend in our area with close to 300 psi coming in from the city. One good thing that came of this is that the other PRV is a bit older and also has unions, so I might just swap that one out myself.

Thanks again,

HI Guys,

The PRV was a Wilkins 600 and was replaced with the same model. We do have 2 PRV's installed to deal with the extremely high pressure and unfortunately its a well know issue in this specific portion of the city. This particular area is well known to plumbers here and to the city. In fact, the plumber mentioned he has a friend in our area with close to 300 psi coming in from the city. One good thing that came of this is that the other PRV is a bit older and also has unions, so I might just swap that one out myself.

Thanks again,

Good deal , That is why I ask about the pressure before the valve. We had to do the samething (installing two PRV) in an area south of town.

Latest posts

Back