Plumbers Putty Or Wax Ring?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specgrade

Reaction score
I just replaced 2 toilets and they didn't have wax rings, they had plumbers putty. I have always used a wax ring to set a toilet but now I'm thinking of trying the putty.

What are your thoughts?

For the inexpensive cost of the wax ring, I would not take a chance. It may work, but do you want to reset a toilet again in the near future if it doesn't work?

For the inexpensive cost of the wax ring, I would not take a chance. It may work, but do you want to reset a toilet again in the near future if it doesn't work?

I know what you are saying and no I wouldn't want to have to reset the toilet again. The old toilets were put in back in 1970 and lasted until I pulled them for more water saving ones. Forty years isn't bad for just plumbers putty.

The primary concern I see with using plumber's putty is because it shrinks, and becomes hard and brittle after time. You may not discover the slight leakage, but will end up corroding the flange after time. Wax will remain plyable almost forever, which would create an leakproof seal.

I have heard of this being done, but probably because I don't do much in the way of service work, have never seen it myself. I wonder if some of the service guys on here can comment.

I just replaced 2 toilets and they didn't have wax rings, they had plumbers putty. I have always used a wax ring to set a toilet but now I'm thinking of trying the putty.

What are your thoughts?

hey
If you are sure that you wouldn't want to have to reset the toilet again then i suggest you to try the putty.

thanks

Regards
Jimclemmer

Plumbers putty is not made to withstand any pressure. Should you need to plunge one of the toilets, you may find yourself removing the toilet again. Plumbers putty also contains oil which could bleed out and stain the flooring around the toilet base.

Plumbers putty is not made to withstand any pressure. Should you need to plunge one of the toilets, you may find yourself removing the toilet again. Plumbers putty also contains oil which could bleed out and stain the flooring around the toilet base.

i think u r right.it means wax is better than putty.

Wax seals. You will not find sealing a toilet on the uses stated on the Plumbers Putty container.

It does say " For setting bowls, fixtures, sinks, frames and strainers. Will not crack, separate, crumble, harden or shrink."

Isn't a toilet considered a "fixture"?

Try removing a faucet which had been set with plumber's putty. Look at the cracks and crumbling, and feel the texture for hardness. I know the container says what it says, but I've also seen little pills which guarantee's losing 20 pounds overnight, but it don't work, just ask my wife! :p (if she reads this, I'm toast!)

Like Havasu noted, it doesn't matter what the container says. Plumber's putty DOES dry, harden, crack, and crumble. I can attest to this first hand, having seen it countless times.

You can use Plumbers Putty to seal around the outside of the bowl on the floor. Some people seal the outer edge for looks (Plumbers Putty looks terrible) or to keep any spills from running under the bowl. As stated before, make sure the floor is not one that can be stained by the oil leeching out of the putty. Wax seals bridge a gap between the bowl and the closet flange. Putty is not capable of handling this.

Last edited:
Try removing a faucet which had been set with plumber's putty. Look at the cracks and crumbling, and feel the texture for hardness. I know the container says what it says, but I've also seen little pills which guarantee's losing 20 pounds overnight, but it don't work, just ask my wife! :p (if she reads this, I'm toast!)

HAHAHAHA that's brilliant

Wax Ring for the win.
I wouldn't even consider using plumbers putty for setting a toilet.
strange....

Latest posts

Back