Moved water meter help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
New around here, but have an old fixer upper house and I need some help.
I had to move my water meter from the crawl space, to under the kitchen sink, no big deal hooking it up there. But the problem I am having is, now I have the two meter couplers in the crawl space, that need hooked together. I can't find a pipe to fit those couplers. Does anyone know where I can find a pipe to fit between the two meter couplers and hook the pipes together? Just imagine, remove the water meter and replace it with a pipe. Just like that. Nothing illegal, the meter is hooked up to the main under the sink so not steeling water, just cant send water to the meter until I find that piece of jumper pipe to put the line back together. No public stores carry it. Maybe y'all know some place online?

WHAT???????

you cant do that!!! it has to go in the front of the system.

it meters the water. you can not install it in the middle of a system. it will only meter half the usage

do you have out door hose bibs?

if you hook it under the sink, it is only metering the water you use under the sink

if you want to couple the unions. call the water department, they will hook you up for free

Pretty sure you are not allowed to move a meter but stranger things have happened. I would contact the water department and talk to them. They have the parts you are looking for as well.

Lol, I live in the middle of north dakota, there's no water guy, I read the meter myself, lol, welcome to small town nodak population 50, its a 2 hour drive to Lowes and Walmart lol. its not hooked up TO the sink, its hooked up UNDER the sink, to the main. It was in the crawl space, the old meter had a remote reader I read it from outside, but the new meter doesn't have that, you have to read the numbers on the meter itself, being in the crawl space, well, I don't want to crawl down there to read the meter every month. So just moving it up UNDER the sink. The main comes in to meter, off meter to a shut off under the sink, goes back under house and out to rest of house. So, I moved it up to the shut off under the sink. That was easy, its just finding the coupler to put the pipe under the house back together and its good to go. I might go over and ask the mayor, she just lives a couple houses down.

Doubt the mayor is going to know much about meter couplings.

You can get those parts from any pipeline supply house, not plumbing supply. I would recommend cutting out the original and patching the pipe back together to have less of a leak potential down the road.

I have never heard of a district that never checks their meters and relies on you.

Standard 3/4" meter nipples can be joined with a Schedule 80 PVC threaded nipple of the correct length. Or, remove the meter nipples, and use (2) 3/4" threaded pipe nipples of the correct length with a union in the center.

Cant you just cut the couplers pipe back ,before the couplers and threat on standard pipe size threats if it's galvinised ? And also how did you shut off the water to the meter

you are probably right. amazing how many people will ask a question with out first trying to see if it can be done first.

if he would have looked, it is very obvious what thread it is.

I come from the old school. keep your mouth shut and watch. be surprised what you will learn.

Nope, not messing with y'all one bit.
I'm in the middle of nowhere, 2 hours from the nearest Lowes or plumbing supply. There is no water department, just one guys who mows the grass, he brought me the new meter and gave it to me to put on. no phone book, no convenience stores, nothing. I am on the only paved road in town guys. The rest of the roads are dirt and gravel. It is awesome, yet frustrating at times, because I was raised in Indianapolis, where you can get anything done 24/7..
The towns water comes in under the house, and went to a shut off, the coupler comes off shut off to meter, meter to another coupler, to my line (Pex) which then runs directly up under the sink to my shut off, then back down into the crawlspace, and out to rest of the house. I shut it off at the shut off under the house, but it's old a brittle, and I'm afraid if I go cranking on it, it will break.
I went ahead and put the meter back where it was for now, until I can figure this out. Got to have water. But unless I want to climb under the house to read it every month, I need it moved up under the sink, which I already have everything sitting there ready to crimp together and go.
I was hoping to get off easy and just connect the couplers together and be done under the house. But of course it can't ever be that easy lol.

Last edited:
Nope, not messing with y'all one bit.
I'm in the middle of nowhere, 2 hours from the nearest Lowes or plumbing supply. There is no water department, just one guys who mows the grass, he brought me the new meter and gave it to me to put on. no phone book, no convenience stores, nothing. I am on the only paved road in town guys. The rest of the roads are dirt and gravel. It is awesome, yet frustrating at times, because I was raised in Indianapolis, where you can get anything done 24/7..
The towns water comes in under the house, and went to a shut off, the coupler comes off shut off to meter, meter to another coupler, to my line (Pex) which then runs directly up under the sink to my shut off, then back down into the crawlspace, and out to rest of the house. I shut it off at the shut off under the house, but it's old a brittle, and I'm afraid if I go cranking on it, it will break.
I went ahead and put the meter back where it was for now, until I can figure this out. Got to have water. But unless I want to climb under the house to read it every month, I need it moved up under the sink, which I already have everything sitting there ready to crimp together and go.
I was hoping to get off easy and just connect the couplers together and be done under the house. But of course it can't ever be that easy lol.

Did you read my reply in post #6, quoted below? Does this help you?

If it doesn't, post a picture of the meter in it's original location.

Standard 3/4" meter nipples can be joined with a Schedule 80 PVC threaded nipple of the correct length. Or, remove the meter nipples, and use (2) 3/4" threaded pipe nipples of the correct length with a union in the center.

I will stay from if you can or not however if you can get a extra set of your meter ends to screw into your meter elbow then all you need to to is sweat a piece of copper with a male adaptor on each end. We always had a few of these made up for new construction when the meter was not available so we could get the water turned on. If you call a plumber they might have some used ends to sell you. Don't forget the garden hose washer.

2 3/4 pex x MIP and crimp a piece in between (assuming your meter set is 3/4 which is typical) , so if you want to make it happen you may have to go to a Lowe's or home Depot unfortunately no simple way

Latest posts

Back