Sink will not drain after replacing washers...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEE1NG_RED

Reaction score
Hello. I recently changed the hoses for my bathroom sink along with the washers that needed to be changed due to a leak. Anyways, long story short...I had to add plumbers putty on the drain (because previous person used silicone) and after installing the p-trap with the new washers, the water does not drain? Is there a possible clog or do I have to reposition the p-trap or so a certain way so there's some sort of vacuum or pressure for the water to drain?

IMG_4534[1].jpg

I removed/unscrewed the cap for the drain plug so does having the lever in up/down position effect the water from not draining??

it makes the plug go up or down. if it is up, the stopper is pluging the hole.

it is also where hair and stuff collects....where the arrow is, is a nut unscrew it. pull the stopper out, see if it has a big ole blob of crap on it

You could also start your inspection by removing the p-trap and sticking a flashlight under the drain tailpiece pointing up towards the sink. Then look down through the drain in the sink from above to see if you have a clear passage or maybe you used too much plumbers putty and blocked off the drain with a wad.

Water is draining, but stays in the p-trap where it is leaking from. I am assuming it may be a clog, but if not...what other possibilities are there???

water is supposed to stay in the trap. thats what its for. if your joints are leaking, you either have no washer or washer is installed incorectly

picture time, show the leak and the way you have your washers

you have a metal trap, you need rubber washers

FPTwyJS.jpg

water is supposed to stay in the trap. thats what its for. if your joints are leaking, you either have no washer or washer is installed incorectly

picture time, show the leak and the way you have your washers

you have a metal trap, you need rubber washers

I used a white washer for the top (extension pipe) and a green one (looks like plastic or hard rubber) for the bottom. My problem is the water not draining.

Water is draining, but stays in the p-trap where it is leaking from. I am assuming it may be a clog, but if not...what other possibilities are there???
a.gif

sorry, I do not understand, you say its draining, and leaking.
1801510022.gif 276457.gif
I used a white washer for the top (extension pipe) and a green one (looks like plastic or hard rubber) for the bottom. My problem is the water not draining.
then say its not draining.

I have no earthly idea what is wrong with your no draining, draining, not leaking burt leaking pipes.
a.jpg

WHEN you make up my mind, please feel free to let me know what I am thinking

If you drain is not draining, I suggest you either call roto rooter or snake it out your self

Last edited:
I have to agree that this is confusing when rereading it. Starting over again, with knowledge of the previous posts, what is the problem?

LOL...

Well, prior to changing the washers, there was a leak where the p-trap and pipe extension would connect and the pipe extension pipe that connects with the drain pipe). After this, no leaks, but when letting the water run...it would not drain when I had replaced the washers of the p-trap (a white washer for the pipe extension, a green washer where the p-trap connects with the pipe extension). Anyways, the water will not drain once everything was connected. The only way for the water to drain from the drain of the sink was when I removed the p-trap, but this of course would have back-up water hence a lot of pressure when removing it and water gushing out. Any ideas if it can be a clog or maybe the p-trap is not positioned correctly?? :eek:

Latest posts

Back