Pump for a Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMcGarva

Reaction score
Hey all. What I got going on is a RO/DI unit for a salt water fish thank. The unit gives out waste and clean water. The waste water is still good and can be used to water plants, drinking, or whatever. I have the waste water line going into a trash can in my garage. I also have a slop sink (utility or laundry sink whatever you call it)

What I want to do, is have a pump in the trash can and run either a PVC piping, or a hose of some sort to the sink. I want the pump to run the sink. I guess my question is what type of pump and what does it need to pump to have enough water pressure for the sink, but not anything too powerful to burn out the pump. Right now I have a sub pump, which does 1300 GPH. But I use that to transfer the salt water to my tank. I dont think I need something as powerful as that. What size pump should I use.. Obviously I will just plug it in as I need it, unless I can find something that only turns on after a water flow.

I was thinking about making the trash can elevated and using gravity to feed the sink, but I dont want to risk any damage to the trash can and Not sure if it will be high enough to run the sink. (its only in the garage)

Also, the trash can will have a small hole a few inches from the top with a PVC pipe ran from the trash can to the sink drain as an over flow just in case it makes water when I'm not home.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Geesh, your kinda putting licensed plumbers in a bit of a predicament when giving advice on this one. Even when rules could be bent a little, I feel you asking for advice on how to shatter one of the basics. Were not repairing and existing system, but inventing a new one to suit your need. Let me explain.
The waste water is going to contain more concentrated levels of the things you don't want your fish exposed to (such as lead, mercury, fluoride, copper, etc.) and may not effect plants and may not be bad for just washing your car.
But once you attach it to a sink, now it falls under the category of 'potable water' and is a human health concern.
The waste water of a purification process cannot be used for or connected to a potable water fixture designed for human or animal use whether it is for drinking, washing or sanitary function. Storm water used for reclamation and flushing in urinals and toilets is strictly governed and installed to avoid any cross contamination and is not considered processed waste water.
So, in short, would you want any unsuspecting person to accidentally ingest all of the stuff you don't want your fish to ingest...in concentrated form? Probably not. And never assume that nobody will ever, EVER drink it because you will make sure of it. Believe me, if you dig a hole in the desert 100 miles away from anybody, eventually somebody will fall in it.

Well. Its just going to be used to washing hands and other garage type stuff. If I dont use the waste water for the sink then I will just run it in my laundry drain. I was either going to use the waste water, or rain water for my sink. If I use rain water, again what type of pump would I need, and is there a such pump you can leave power to, and it will only run after water flow?

Thanks

Reread what I stated about using the water, or even storm water, for a sink. If there is the even most remote possibility that anybody at any time could ever under any circumstances accidentally or purposely use the water for drinking....no matter how you may believe it is impossible or improbable, I must strongly recommend not setting it up as you propose. Seriously.

Reread what I stated about using the water, or even storm water, for a sink. If there is the even most remote possibility that anybody at any time could ever under any circumstances accidentally or purposely use the water for drinking....no matter how you may believe it is impossible or improbable, I must strongly recommend not setting it up as you propose. Seriously.

Sure, I get the point of you dont want me to use it for drinking etc. I will just put the "waste" side of the RO/DI unit down the drain from the washer machine. I mean, it has to go some where?

I'm more concerned about what type of pump I would need to pump water from a barrel to the sink. Is rain water safe to use for the sink? As in, the water that is coming off the roof into the gutters..

Thanks

Back