What is this on my drainpipe??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakemeupjudy2014

Reaction score
I have a house built in 1915. The drain pipes leading into the basement from outside are thick lead. At the elbow(on top) on 2 of these pipes is a small hole which seems to have a cork or wood stopper of some kind..we accidentally found one on the floor while looking for the reason water was gushing into the basement every rainstorm. Evidentally the wood stopper just shot out like a wine cork!

Anyone know the purpose of the small hole on the top of these elbows?

With out a picture it will be hard to say. Even with a picture it may be a guess. Without a picture I could say that maybe holes were drilled in the past for putting a small cable through to clear clogs. A cork or wedge of wood would seal the hole but allow access for later clogs.

With out a picture it will be hard to say. Even with a picture it may be a guess. Without a picture I could say that maybe holes were drilled in the past for putting a small cable through to clear clogs. A cork or wedge of wood would seal the hole but allow access for later clogs.

Good seeing you around -- Haven't seen you here in awhile.

Latest posts

Back