immersion heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s4baker

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to switch the immersion heater on but the Red Light was not on above the switch.

The trip switch on the main fuse board was down.

If i try to flick the switch back up the electric goes off!

Any Ideas?:confused:

I am somewhat confused as to what type of heater that you are talking about.

When you flip the switch back up at the main board, the electric goes off to what exactly?

Immersion Heater is a Electrical `Direct to water` heater for a Hot Water Cylinder/Tank - when this is used it heats the water - often used as a `back-up` when for example the other source of heating the Cylinder/Tank fails, although in the U.K. this can be the `Primary` source of heating the hot water- far from economical! [ don`t know if used much in U.S.?]
The reason that the `Trip` switch/breaker turns off again - Instantly upon being switched on is because it is `doing its job` in protecting you - the IMMERSION HEATER has failed and caused an electrical fault - it MUST be REPLACED with a new one.
Please note - do not attempt to keep the `Trip` switch/Breaker from turning off by any temporary means - `Energising` the Immersion Heater for ANY reason could cause a `LIFE THREATENING` situation!!

Latest posts

Back