Bad leak from cartridge 1222, new one won't fit?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbyjo

Reaction score
I have a real problem with a shower cartridge leaking. It seems to be Moen Posi-Temp Faucet
Model 1222. I say it seems to be. Because the one I took out was not easy.
Even with a puller tool, It broke off. So I had to get it out in small pieces.
I cleaned out the hole making sure their was no more debris in it.
Brought a new Moen 1222 from Lowes. When I tried to fit it in, I found it was 1/16 inch to long?
I found this out after removing all seals, so that it would slide in easy. There is no way I was able to get the clip in? I have replace many cartridges in the past, mostly 1225's. And never came across one like this? I had an old Danco 1222 & filed the back of it down 1/16 inch. It went it easy & I could get the clip on with ease. So back to Lowes to buy a new Danco 1222. Filed the back of it down. (You can't file down a Moen, their's no room on the end, because the valve is right at the end) Fitted it in & turned the water back on, to find it still drips? I pull it out again to check the seals are in the right place, they were. So put it back in, to try again & still it leaks? I just don't know what to do next.

There are some pieces of the old cartridge still inside the valve body. Look very carefully where the hot and cold water passages are. You may need someone to turn the water on with the cartridge out to blow the pieces out.

Yeah, I tried that, thinking there might still be some of the piece's in there. But I only turned it on & quickly off. Because I'm working on my own. May be I need to turn it on for a bit longer.
What about me having to file 1/16inch off the back of the cartridge? Have you ever come across this before?
Thanks for you reply.

I have replaced hundreds of the Moen Positemp cartridges. Several I had to dig out in pieces. Never had to file and end off put one in. Use a little stem lube/grease. Inspect he neoprene seals for nicks as well

This is what we are discussing?

positemp core.jpg

Positemp valve.jpg

Hi Mr_David, Yep! That's the one. Danco right? Removing all the seals in goes in easy & you can see there is no way to get the clip on it sticks out by about 1/16 of inch, I've push it in until I'm blue in the face. Still can't get that clip on. But one I filed down goes in like a dream & clip goes straight in. When I put the seals back on & grease it up, It will go in with a little force. But still got that little drip when I turn the water back on.
Thanks for your reply.

Back