Making Use of a Short PVC Pipe for New Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsobigbird420

Reaction score
Novice to the forum, so hope this is the right area to post a Sink Drain project question. This is a guest bathroom sink drain pipe project. All PVC pipes below are 1.5 inch. Wanted to get your feedback on whether this proposed solution would pass an inspection.

Background is that the Bathroom Cabinet installers came by this weekend and decided to cut off my existing bathroom single sink PVC drain pipe almost flush with the Cabinet. Not happy about it but perhaps I should have been a bit more explicit about my expectations. (pic 1).

So I got a few opinions and what I decided on was sticking a new J pipe into the cut pipe and wrapping them with a rubber coupling - one with the metal collars you can screw tighten around the coupling. So now the existing cut PVC drain pipe is coupled to the J pipe. (pics 2 and 3)

All feels pretty secure. I pulled on both the coupling and pipe after achieving the desires tightness and it's secure. The new PVC J pipe slid pretty far into the cut pipe - to the point where i think it almost touches the back of the T joint in the wall.

In case it matters, i'm planning to turn the single sink into a double sink so there will be a lot of hardware attaching to this drain connection.

Another guy suggested I buy the PVC primer and glue and fix it that way. Never used that stuff before though. One thing I really don't want to do is go into the wall. Much higher risk of damaging something back there.

Cut PVC Drain.jpg

Full PVC Replace with Trap.jpg

Side Photo with Rubber Coupling.jpg

Looks like a dogs breakfast but other then that, as long as your trap arm is more then 3" long it should be fine.

Hate to say it but even a blind inspector would not pass any of your drain repair. All the wrong parts. The rubber coupling you used is not even for the pipe sizes it is attached to. Take it all out and start over. If you insist on using a rubber connector to your drain line use a FERNCO 3002-150 PROFLEX Coupling. And never use any corrugated flexible drain tubing. Plumb the drain correctly and flex is not needed.

Just a question, how did the drain pipe stub out of the wall get hacked off so short?

Ah good eye on the size. I never noticed.

When I see traps like that I assume it's an American thing, they aren't allowed here. Do your codes vary by state? I've saw some pics posted similar, and I thought it as approved by some.

I'm intrigued by what appears to be shut off valves, between the supply lines and the angle stops.

i would cut open the wall and do it correctly. a short cut now is an expensive repair later. and if your going to use pvc glue make sure you are using the primer and glue correctly.

Thanks for all the responses all. So I removed the corrugate J bend but would like to know why you shouldn't use the flexible piping. It's a nice quick fix for novices like myself.

Also, seems like more and more people are telling me that regardless of the way you plumb the drain, you have to use the primer and glue to get everything together properly, meaning I can't just tighten the nuts and washers on the end. Any other advice would be helpful.

havasu, not sure what you mean - i unscrewed the supply knobs so that i could tighten the dual output adaptors without bumping into them all the time.

SHR, not sure how exactly it happened. I know the cabinet installers did it with their tools and just assumed they didn't understand how to get it off properly and just hacked it up so they could get the cabinet on. frustrating.....

Latest posts

Back