mystery leak in toilet - looking for advice...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdingwell

Reaction score
So I'm having a problem with my toilet. I have changed the wax ring three times now, each time hoping that my problems will be solved. Sadly, this has not been the case.

The toilet seems to be leaking and i can't source from where. For some reason, the photo upload button isn't working here so I uploaded an image to an image hosting site: http://tinypic.com/r/2rf90zo/8

The red arrows show where moisture is seeping out along the grout lines of the tiles under the toilet.

The only thing I can think of is that the floor is not level (like, way off level) and the toilet isn't fully straight. The highpoint is in the back right so it is off level towards the front left.

My next step is to try 'one more time' to reseal the toilet only this time using plastic levellers. Any thoughts?

Based on the photo - any idea where the moisture is coming from? There is a distinct moisture ring all around where the toilet is seated on the floor. That worries me somewhat.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

j.

After you reset the toilet check very carefully around the back of the toilet where the tank meets the bowl. the leak may be coming from the tank to bowl gasket ot the tank bolts.

when checking as johnjh20 suggested
dry the tank and bowl.
when you flush it the first time. take some toilet paper
and gentle, wipe the tank and bowl.
toilet paper is very absorbent, you will detect wetness immediately on the paper.
if not the tank to bowl spud or bolts, it could very well be a cracked bowl.
tp will let you know

BTW...I just checked the status of the back of the bowl. Things look good at the junction between the bowl and tank. There is nothing on the outside that would lead me to believe that there is a leak at this point - perhaps internally to the seat/tank? I guess I'll have to take it all apart to get a better look. There's no rust on the bolts or threads though which I assume there would be if there was water moving down at this point.

I find that the 'stain' pattern around where the bowl meets the floor to be peculiar. It does look as though there is a leak along the bowl somewhere causing a small amount of water to bead on the lip, but not enough to pool. The staining is uniformly on the edge nowhere near the drain. Very strange.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

BTW...photo uploading seems to be working for me now so here's the original image I'm referring to.

photo.jpg

Back