"Piston" tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez9

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for a tank size version of a piston cylinder/tube.

What I basically need to do is to be able to increase the flow rate of a water tank by placing a load on top of it. I know there are 10s of other ways to increase pressure, but I'm interested in this idea. No electricity, no machines, no manual pumping. Just a tank with a load on top to increase flow rate. Is that possible? Is there a tank that works like a piston cylinder?

P.S., English is not my native language.

none that I know of but curious as to the application.

I am not an engineer but I do under stand the mechanics of water.

The density of liquid water is (62.43 lb/cu ft) 1,000 kg/m3

Concrete, Gravel 150 lb/ft3 2,400 kg/m3
Crushed Stone 100 lb/ft3 1,600 kg/m3
Earth, loam dry excavated 90 lb/ft3 1,440 kg/m3
Earth, packed 95 lb/ft3 1,520 kg/m3
Glass, window 161 lb/ft3 2580 kg/m3
Gravel, loose, dry 95 lb/ft3 1,520 kg/m3

Does not seem to be very practical.
You would need something to raise the weight to allow the water to enter the piston/tank
Water is pretty heavy on it's own.
You would have to have a pretty massive weight to push a piston with gravity to increase the water pressure.
If you were going to use the water pressure to lift the weight then you wouldn't need a weight to push it back.

none that I know of but curious as to the application.

I am not an engineer but I do under stand the mechanics of water.

The density of liquid water is (62.43 lb/cu ft) 1,000 kg/m3

Concrete, Gravel 150 lb/ft3 2,400 kg/m3
Crushed Stone 100 lb/ft3 1,600 kg/m3
Earth, loam dry excavated 90 lb/ft3 1,440 kg/m3
Earth, packed 95 lb/ft3 1,520 kg/m3
Glass, window 161 lb/ft3 2580 kg/m3
Gravel, loose, dry 95 lb/ft3 1,520 kg/m3

Does not seem to be very practical.
You would need something to raise the weight to allow the water to enter the piston/tank
Water is pretty heavy on it's own.
You would have to have a pretty massive weight to push a piston with gravity to increase the water pressure.
If you were going to use the water pressure to lift the weight then you wouldn't need a weight to push it back.

Thanks for your time. Yes, this is not intended to be an automatic process. I realize I'll have to manually lift the load in order for the tank to be re-filled.

The is intended for a indoor use where space is very limited and water/ electricity are not always available. The thank can't be big and I need to increase the output pressure, not significantly, just to an acceptable level by manually placing a load (metal). The tank ofcourse will only be used as a secondary and temporary water source when the primary water source is not available for whatever reason.

so to sum this up,
you have a small tank full of water and you need to use it as water source with an acceptable pressure level without machines or electricity.

Last edited:
Thanks for your time. Yes, this is not intended to be an automatic process. I realize I'll have to manually lift the load in order for the tank to be re-filled.

The is intended for a indoor use where space is very limited and water/ electricity are not always available. The thank can't be big and I need to increase the output pressure, not significantly, just to an acceptable level by manually placing a load (metal). The tank ofcourse will only be used as a secondary and temporary water source when the primary water source is not available for whatever reason.

As an alternative to using a manual pump. I thought that placing a load above the tank is less disruptive and tedious than pumping air into the thank by hand or foot while using the water. I know this is very primitive but I wanted to look into this idea before moving on to something more advanced. I hope this makes more sense to you now.

Have you thought about using a 12 volt pump similar to what is used in RV's and boats.
Yes, I checked out many at Amazon. Even the ones with top ratings die after a short while (according to reviews). If you had any good experiences with pumps, please share them with us. 2 years life is ok with me, for average of 30 hours per month where each run lasts for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Back